Software Applications Engineer II
Software Applications Engineer II
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
The Software Applications Engineer is an important member of the overall services team supporting enterprise software applications. The position will participate in the design, management, and deployment of complex applications with responsibility for the proper functioning of these applications in the WPI technical environment, integration with other systems as necessary and high standards for availability and security.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Write technical specifications to guide the selection of new software applications or modifications to existing applications.
• Participate in WPI’s development of strategy, processes, skills, and operational practices for the support of cloud-based software applications and their interaction with the premises-based applications.
• Serve as key adviser for Change Management; provide guidance on the interactions of software applications and the WPI technical environment.
• Participate in ITSM-based processes such as Change Management, Configuration Management, Incident and Problem management.
• Formulate processes for software testing and quality assurance.
• Participate in disaster recovery planning, testing, and operations.
• Support incident and problem management by providing Tier 3 support for infrastructure functionality and performance issues for software applications.
• Coordinate with WPI ITS units responsible for Enterprise Systems, Academic and Research Computing, Security, Network, and Telecommunications, Systems Operations, Support Services, and the Academic Technology Center.
• Projects as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Performs job functions without close supervision. Leads teams and projects.
• 3-5 years’ experience engineering the fit of software applications in the enterprise environment: deployment, configuration, operation, high availability, integration, and incident and problem management
• Knowledge of configuration characteristics of key WPI software applications, including underlying technologies such as the databases, transmission methods, and security systems. Experience in operational support of these technologies.
• Knowledge of the characteristics of cloud-based software systems and applications. Experience in supporting cloud-based software applications.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex software applications, integration, and environmental issues.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; able to communicate successfully with faculty, students and staff.
• Ability to write technical documentation for use by IT colleagues.
• Must be available to work occasionally outside normal business hours for incident management and asset and configuration upgrades.
• Preferred: experience working in an academic environment.
Posting Date: 06/15/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4631
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.