Research Assistant I
Key Functions and Expected Performances
The Research Assistant I will provide support for a research laboratory. The duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Yeast and bacteria media preparation and sterilization.
- Preparation of general buffers and solutions.
- Clean and perform routine maintenance to simple laboratory equipment including water baths, freezers, and incubators.
- Work with laboratory members to keep inventory stocked.
- Purchase reagents and equipment repairs. Communicate regularly and positively with departmental administrative staff on purchasing matters.
- Supervise glass washing and sterilization. This will involve oversight of student workers to ensure timely washing and drying.
- Assist laboratories members with basic molecular biology, genetic, and biochemical techniques.
- Support laboratory personnel in the maintenance and collection of research reagents into long-term storage.
- Prioritize tasks within assigned schedule.
- Specific duties may change to meeting changing research needs.
- Occasionally lift and/or carry objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances. Physical requirements include long periods of standing and/or sitting.
Job requires a Bachelor's degree.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Degree in biology, molecular biology, or related field preferred
- Some college laboratory course experience or at least 6 months of lab experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks with limited supervision. May request opportunities to learn new skills.
- Excellent command of excel and word processing programs. Familiarity and ease with computer use.
- Effective team player with a proven ability to perform basic research in a rigorous and organized manner, excellent interpersonal and analytical skills and a strong work ethic.