Storage Engineer III
Storage Engineer III
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Under the direction of the Manager of Systems Operation, works in a team environment to design, deploy, and monitor storage, backup and SAN systems. The Storage Engineer will be responsible for the day-to-day SAN and NAS storage administration, data backup and recovery services, and assist in the development of long term strategies and roadmaps for the storage architecture. The storage engineer works in tandem with systems engineers to provide enterprise storage and data backup and recovery support and in coordination with network and security engineers to ensure data security. The storage engineer is accountable for contributing to the overall technical architecture, stability, resiliency, and general system health related to data storage, backup and recovery solutions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Optimize architecture and performance for current storage environment.
• Zone and provision storage.
• Monitor and troubleshoot storage system errors and warnings.
• Provide technical expertise in the future architecture of SAN, NAS, and software defined storage roadmap.
• Consult and collaborate with IT Information Security and Academic Research to ensure security compliance and fulfillment of data requirements for grant qualifications.
• Support and troubleshoot the current tape archival process.
• Design, develop, implement, and administer the future data backup and archival solutions.
• Provide expertise and take ownership of Isilon upgrade and migration project.
• Support incident and problem management by providing Tier 3 support.
• Support change management by working with IT staff to identify and manage risks, gaps, and competing priorities involving the systems managed.
• Mentor and train systems engineers on storage administration and best practices.
• Projects as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 7+ year’s experience with storage administration.
• Ability to write scripts in some administrative languages.
• Ability to troubleshoot storage system problems.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; able to communicate successfully with faculty, students and staff.
• Must be available to work occasionally outside normal business hours for incident management and upgrades.
• Experience working with Change Management/ITIL/ITSM.
• Preferred: experience with Cloud storage such as S3.
• Preferred: experience with Dell Compellent and EMC Isilon.
• Preferred: experience with VMware ESXi hands on administration.
Posting Date: 06/19/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4641