Assistant to the Associate Dean
This position provides high-level administrative support to the Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations. The incumbent serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituents on all matters pertaining to the Associate Dean and many matters pertaining to the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. The Assistant serves as a liaison to the Board of Trustees, senior management teams, faculty, staff, donors, and the external community; and organizes and coordinates outreach and efforts on behalf of the Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations, and oversees special projects.
The incumbent is expected to apply creativity and initiative in recommending solutions to administrative challenges in an entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven, and team-oriented. The incumbent will have demonstrated capacity to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communications, administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities while striving for precision and accuracy in all endeavors, the incumbent will have the ability to work independently on projects to work under pressure. The nature of the work in Dev & AR is highly confidential and complex, necessitating exposure to sensitive information and contacts. The incumbent will possess considerable discretion, judgement, tact, and diplomacy and demonstrate at all times a respect for privileged information, and a commitment to protecting the confidentiality of donor biographical, financial, and philanthropic information; private conversations between staff, board members, and donors; scientific research; all personnel details, including but not limited to performance reviews; departmental budgets; and other sensitive information.
Key tasks include:
- Manage an active calendar of appointments; complete expense reports; compose and prepare correspondence; arrange complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas.
- Plans, coordinate, and ensure the Associate Dean’s schedule is followed and respected.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the AD, with board members, donors, and Development staff.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addresses to the AD, including those of sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the ADn’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with senior management, staff, administrators, and faculty.
- Works closely and effectively with the AD to keep her well-informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Submit invoices for the AD and other members of the Dev and AR team as needed.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with board members.
- Attends committee meetings to record minutes as needed.
- Participate as a member of the Dev & AR management team, assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings.
- Assist in coordinating the agenda for management team meetings and off-sites, and all-staff meetings.
- Coordinates the annual performance dialogue process for all members of the Dev and AR team.
- Coordinates the annual planning, preparation and review for all budgets assigned to the Dev & AR team.
- Responds to questions and helps prepare justification for all budgets.
- Regularly monitors the budgets of the AD and Dev and AR management team to ensure accuracy in allocation and adherence to budgetary commitments.