Public Services, Evening and Weekend Librarian
The Lewis University Library invites applications for a Public Services, Evening and Weekend Librarian to provide general research service support, participate in user-centered library instruction, provide basic security, collection development and collection management activities and open and close the library on nights and weekends.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is a vigorous and growing institution located 25 miles SW of Chicago. Lewis University provides students a liberal arts-based and career-focused education, engaging students in the exploration and creation of academic, professional and personal opportunities in a supportive community. As a Catholic university in the Lasallian tradition, our approach is values-based and ethically-focused. For additional information see our website at http://www.lewisu.edu.
- Support and promote the Library Vision, offering diverse and dynamic resources and collections to its learning community in the spirit of academic inquiry and civic engagement.
- Provide research and instruction services to library users during evenings and weekends.
- Deliver traditional and cutting-edge research services, such as chat, virtual research assistance and roving reference/research.
- Deliver research and instruction services to both in-person and online members of the university community.
- Monitor library to ensure security to maintain order and ensure a safe environment for library patrons.
- Provide customer service assistance to ensure access to all of the library's collections.
- Responsible for the maintenance of print periodical/journals collection.
- Depending on library needs, accept additional assignments relating to cataloging, electronic resource management, collection management/assessment, online research assistance, or any other assignments that support the library's mission.
- Maintain and evaluate the usefulness of all print and electronic reference sources.
- Maintain statistical information.
- Enforce library policies.
- Work schedule will be nights and weekends.
- Assist in special projects and/or activities.
An MLS/MLIS master degree. Academic library experience. Function effectively in a team environment, flexibility and the capacity to embrace change in a dynamic and evolving organization, and a facility for cross-departmental communications. Excellent oral/written communication skills are necessary. Ability to adapt to change. Demonstrated experience with strong customer service focus and developing creative solutions for library services. Experience with print serials management. High degree of facility with technologies and systems in academic library and information services, including experience with an integrated library management system.
Demonstrable ability to multitask, prioritize, and work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced work environment. Experience with library security. Second language (Spanish preferred). Able to research emerging technologies for deployment of library services. Must be able to take initiative and see projects through independently. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
For a full description and to be considered for this position visit the Lewis Employment Site.
Inspired by the University’s Mission values of Wisdom, Knowledge, Justice, Fidelity and Association, the Lewis Community declares that Lewis is a Sanctified Zone where people are committed to working to end racism, bias and prejudice by valuing diversity in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.