Senior Research Associate
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
George Washington University’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine (MITM) conducts innovative, fundamental, basic and translational research for HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. MITM has a strong tradition of training and policy advocacy for these infectious and parasitic diseases, which initiate and perpetuate poverty and suffering worldwide. Additional information on MITM can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/
MITM is searching for a full-time Sr. Research Associate for Dr. Jones’ laboratory. The Jones lab was established in April 2015, and focuses on studying the interaction between HIV-specific T-cells and NK cells with the viral reservoirs that persist in antiretroviral (ARV) treated individuals. In addition to describing this natural interaction we are actively developing methods to harness natural and engineered T cells to contribute to reservoir eradication. We are evaluating these approaches ex vivo using leukapheresis samples and in vivo using a humanized mouse model. We have a particular interest in translating promising approaches into the clinic. This position will aid the current researchers (Postdoctoral Scientist, Research Scientists and/or Lab Manager) in planning, executing, and analyzing immunology and virology experiments in the context of HIV-1 infection. The successful candidate will receive mentoring and direct guidance from the Principal Investigator in order to advance their career in academic research.
• Provides input into research design by developing and/or modifying techniques and protocols; evaluates progress of studies at predetermined checkpoints and assists in staff training and delegation of staff. Plans and schedules experiments consistent with the timeline and objectives of planned and ongoing research projects, including working with collaborators.
• Performs mouse colony maintenance, dosing of mice with therapeutics in experimental protocols, assists with surgical procedures and tissue extraction, and collects behavioral and physical data.
• Formulates research methods and supports options for improving quality, identifies potential problems, and recommends and implements solutions.
• Optimizes, develops, qualifies and executes the following: viral RNA extraction, HIV viral load analysis (qRT-PCR), ELISAs, plasma and PBMC isolation from whole blood, PBMC subpopulation isolation, flow cytometry, cell and tissue culture (including of HIV-infected human and animal tissues), DNA sequencing, and preparation of viral stocks.
• Coordinates data collection, screening and verifies data. Conducts analysis of data, interprets and implements research methodology based on outcome of analysis.
• Performs general maintenance of good laboratory practice, oversees compliance with Biosafety guidelines, maintains inspection records, establishes SOPs and generates reports.
• Maintains and troubleshoots equipment.
• Trains students and works closely with Animal Resource Facility staff.
• Participates in intramural and extramural group meetings and presents data.
• Assists with the planning and execution of community outreach and educational events.
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Require’s a master’s degree and 3 years of direct experience in the field.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in immunological techniques including: ELISA and flow cytomety.
• Experience with mouse colony maintenance and handling techniques.
• Experience in molecular biology techniques, in particular viral RNA extraction and viral loads (qPCR), PCR, digital droplet PCR, and MiSeq sequencing will also be valued.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30am - 5:30pm Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000322 Job Open Date: 06/19/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter