Associate Dean for Finance and Administration - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (A1700087)
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Associate Dean for Finance and Administration
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) and Carle Health System (Carle) have embarked on an exciting endeavor by creating the nation's first engineering-based college of medicine, the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. In partnership, Carle and Illinois are seeking an exceptional leader to serve as the first permanent Associate Dean for Finance and Administration for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. A member of the Dean's senior leadership team, the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration will serve as principal administrative and budget officer of the College.
Responsibilities of the position will include advising the Dean in developing annual revenue and expense budgets and modeling multi-year scenarios; additional details are provided below. The Associate Dean for Finance and Administration will report directly to the inaugural Dean, Carle Illinois College of medicine.
This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, health care professionals, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences. It is planned that the individual in this administrative role will have full-time, benefits eligible, University employment, including opportunities for concurrent appointment in another University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign college and/or the Carle Health System. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Collaborate with other members of the College's senior leadership team to recommend, establish and implement policies and procedures to facilitate an excellent engineering -based medical college in the areas of resource planning, budgeting, financial management, human resource administration and marketing strategies.
- Supervise and provide personnel leadership to growth areas of Budget and Resource Planning, Human Resources, Communications and Marketing, and Purchasing for the College. This includes setting performance direction, conducting annual reviews and providing guidance as needed.
- Oversee compliance with relevant Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) standards and participate in ongoing accreditation activities.
- Foster diversity in the faculty, staff, and student ranks; support and encourage positive inter-professional relationships bridging the college's private/public organization and its missions.
- Oversee resource planning and budgeting to ensure strategic objectives in the college are implemented, managed and maintained. This includes collaborating with college senior leadership to strategize on financial- and resource-based decision making, including multi-year projections, and advising the Dean regarding allocation of funds, hiring plans, other annual planning activities, strategic revenue generation and opportunities for cost efficiencies.
- Advise the Dean on annual revenue and expense budgets.
- Administer college funds to academic areas/departments and administrative units within the college.
- Oversee facilities and space management, planning, and maintenance.
- Maintain responsibility for purchasing, materials acquisitions, billing, and receiving.
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean for Research, share oversight and management of external research proposal submissions, grants, and contracts.
- Oversee IT implementation, operations, and maintenance, collaborating and consulting with the college senior leadership team (e.g., working with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the area of academic IT).
- Provide an official source of data related to information and statistics on status in these areas of responsibility.
Education requirements: A Bachelor's degree in finance, business, accounting, management, or related applicable field is required. Advanced certification such as C.P.A. or advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
Required experience, skills and abilities:
- The excellent candidate will have at least ten years of increasingly responsible leadership experience managing finance and administration in higher education, preferably in a research-oriented institution.
- The position requires the ability to communicate successfully with stakeholders including faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, students, benefactors, and business partners.
- The candidate must have a record of highly ethical conduct, a sense of respect for confidentiality, a high level of professionalism, collegiality and a strong record of attention to detail.
- The position requires strong familiarity with budgeting, accounting, strategically forecasting and managing resources and knowledge of procurement principles in a research-oriented public academic institution, as well as other knowledge required to oversee responsibilities of the position.
Urbana-Champaign offers the residential advantages of a thriving micro-urban university city, excellent cultural opportunities, and a high quality of life as reflected by its ranking as one of 10 Great Neighborhoods in America by the American Planning Association: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/neighborhoods/2007/westurbana.htm
Procedure for candidacy:
For more information on the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, please visit https://medicine.illinois.edu/. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and review of applications will begin immediately. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by no later than March 31, 2017. Interested candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu; submit an application, resume, and a letter of interest that should include a brief one-page statement that describes how applicant's career goals and experiences will contribute to the new college. Also required is a list of names and contact information of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jennifer Steiling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Dean for Finance and Administration - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (A1700087)
Open Date: 02/20/2017
Organization Name: Carle IL COM Administration