Assistant Professor in English Literature/Rhetoric and Composition
Department: English and Humanities Department
Reports to: Chair of the department
AUAF is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Professor in English Literature/ Rhetoric and Composition, to begin in late August, 2017.
AUAF, which is located in Kabul and funded in substantial part by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is entering a new phase of its development with a rapidly increasing enrollment and the construction of our new campus now underway. We offer both a challenging and rewarding environment for faculty and staff. Current enrollment figures are approximately 1,000 students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teaching assigned undergraduate Literature and Academic Writing courses, 12 credit hours per semester.
• Contribution to the intellectual life of the university by engaging in high quality core teaching,
• Shaping and influencing curriculum development.
• Active contribution to the review of courses and academic programs in accordance with departmental, faculty senate, and Provost Office strategies.
• Scholarly activities and professional development.
• Service on departmental and/or university committees.
• Service as academic adviser to students.
• Fostering of departmental collegiality.
• fulfilling individual responsibilities as set out by the
Chair, the faculty senate, and the Provost.
• PhD. in Literature/Rhetoric and Composition or related subject from an accredited international university.
• At least 4 years experience teaching in western higher education.
• Evidence of teaching excellence in higher education.
• Working knowledge of contemporary pedagogy.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Outstanding writing skills.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous package that includes: academic rank and a competitive salary commensurate with education and experience, travel allowance, university-provided accommodation, and paid health care insurance for expatriate hires. This is an unprecedented opportunity to work at a young American University in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact details for three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include “Assistant Professor of English” in the subject line of the email.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted to set up formal interviews.