Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Division of Cardiology
Professional Research Assistant
The School of Medicine, Division of Cardiology has an opening for a full time Professional Research Assistant position at the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a Professional Research Assistant to work in the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology and the Consortium for Fibrosis Research & Translation (CFRet) at the CU Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
We seek a Professional Research Assistant to assist in performing experiments in a federally-funded research laboratory. Research areas in the laboratory include to understand the role of protein dynamics, glycosylation, and homeostasis in fibrosis and heart diseases. To achieve our research goals, we develop and apply mass spectrometry, proteomics, transcriptomics, and bioinformatics methods to analyze human disease models in animals and in cell culture.
The primary professional responsibilities of the Professional Research Assistant include the performance of animal and cell models, and procurement of biological specimens for mass spectrometry analysis.
In addition, the Professional Research Assistant is expected to help in the preparation and maintenance of experimental reagents, materials, equipment, laboratory supplies, tools, and consumable items; keeping inventories; and helping to create a clean and sanitary working environment.
Finally, the Professional Research Assistant will also be tasked to work independently or as part of a team on various molecular and cellular biology experiments, which may include mouse models, cell culture, immunostaining, and protein & nucleotide analysis.
The applicant will be working primarily on the Anschutz Medical Campus as a full-time Professional Research Assistant (with a minimum of 75% research duties). The applicant will be expected to work 40 hours per week at the Research Complex II Building.
Examples of Work Performed include:
- Preparation of reagents and other experimental materials.
- Performance of cellular biology and biochemistry experiments, including cell culture, immunostaining, immunoblots, PCR, protein analysis, and other experiments.
- Working with cell or tissue samples of animal or human origins.
- Recording of experimental protocols, observations, and data.
- Ordering and logging of supplies and equipment.
- Maintaining laboratory equipment and working environment.
- Bachelor's degree
- One year of lab support experience.
- Handle, carry, and/or lift objects in the research settings, up to 10 kg in weight.
- Work in a standard research environment that may contain fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, sharp objects, hazardous materials, tissue, and body fluids.
- Stand or sit for prolonged periods during work hours, frequently move (walking, bending, stooping and other physical motions), as well as executing repetitive motions.
- Work with complex laboratory equipment, chemical solutions, and biological materials.
- Substitution: College, university or non-correspondence school coursework related to science and/or laboratory work may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis (please make this clear on your resume).
- Possess an interest in proteomics and systems biology research
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and reliable, with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to follow instructions and meet project deadlines.
- Proficiency in quantitative and computational research methods preferred
- Exceptional candidates motivated to participate in research projects are encouraged to apply.
- Master's degree in a related field from an accredited college.
- Experience with cell culture and animal models highly preferred.
- Experience in maintaining and managing biomedical laboratories.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Questions should be directed to Maggie Lam (Maggie.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by June 30, 2017. Those who do not apply by June 30, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9572
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20169 - SOM-MED-Cardiology
Posting Date: Jun 19, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dennis Evans
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00614700