*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Rocky Mountain Ob-Gyn Clinical Practice
Medical Assistant (Health Care Technician II)
Position #734615 - Requisition 09872
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a Medical Assistant (MA). This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position will be responsible for assisting the physicians and nurses at the Rocky Mountain Ob-Gyn Clinical Practice. This role will support the practice by assisting with chart preparation, record requests, blood draws, lab form completion including basic lab result evaluation, as well as coordinating basic communication with referring physician offices. This MA will also be responsible for: assiting physicians with basic patient communication; ensuring patient rooms are organized, stocked with medical supplies, and sets up equipment and supplies as needed for the individual patient procedures; completing basic patient check-in procedures, including initial check-ins and updating patient history; and assiting Faculty physicians during procedures as needed. This psotion will also perform NSTs and provide data to Practice physicians.
Examples of Work Performed:
Room set up and monitoring:
- Assist with equipment and supply monitoring.
- Prepare and clean-up after procedures in patient rooms.
- Ensure that all supplies are available and a consistent stock is maintained in the patient rooms. Supplies and equipment needed for the patient procedure must be ready and available to the physician.
- Clean rooms and sterilize equipment as necessary after exams, including disposal of non-hazardous materials and bio-hazardous materials.
- Update patient history in medical record as necessary so physician has accurate information.
Lab work for patients:
- Perform blood draws on patients for procedures.
- Must be able to properly place needle for blood draw and perform the blood draw. Blood will need to be cooled and prepared for transport to the testing facility.
- If labs are performed by outside vendor, verify correct labs are taken to meet physician needs.
Assist physician and/or nurse during procedures:
- Position will be able to assist the physician and/or nurse as needed during procedures.
Review of returned lab results, notification to physician/nurse and/or patient:
- Complete lab forms with basic lab information and provide that information to the nurse and/or physician.
- Communicate with physicians and/or patients regarding lab results where appropriate and will update clinic records to reflect information.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $36,860 - $48,000 and is commensurate with skills, experience and years of service with the University. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- One (1) year of experience providing medical assistance in an OB/GYN, Reproductive or closely related medical office.
Substitution: College course work appropriate to the assignment may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Posses a current and valid CPR Certification, or be willing, able and eligible to secure certification within 30 days of hire. Failure to complete certification within 30 days may result in termination of employment.
- Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program and posses a current and valid Medical Assistant Certification, OR be willing, able and eligible to obtain certification within six months of hire. Failure to complete certification within 6 months may result in termination of employment.
Must be willing and able to:
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Experience working directly in a clinic providing full service women's health care.
- Two (2) or more years of experience working as a Medical Assistant, which included blood draws and other lab requirements.
Competencies/ Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supplies and equipment needed for the patient procedure, and the proper disposal of non-hazardous materials and bio-hazardous materials during cleanup of the room.
- Knowledge of proper sterilization of lab equipment procedures.
- Must be able to properly place needle for blood draw and perform the blood draw.
- Ability to prepare blood for transport to the testing facility.
- Must have a working knowledge of what is appropriate for the medical assistant to communicate to the patient and understands what needs to be communicated by the physician or nurse practitioner.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Barbara Nicholas at email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21710 - SOM-OB/GYN RMtn General Ops
Posting Date: Jun 19, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Barbara Nicholas
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00734615