Animal Care Tech I
Who we are:
The Office of Animal Resources (OAR) is a service center responsible for providing high quality animal care, veterinary care, and support for the research and teaching missions of the University of Colorado, Boulder. The highly dedicated and experienced OAR staff is committed to the health and well-being of laboratory animals, student and investigator training, and technical service.
We're looking for the right individual, committed to helping us maintain our high clinical standards, policies and procedures. This can be the beginning of a real career for someone interested in the support of our scientific research and teaching missions.
What your key responsibilities will be:
In this role, you'll support research involving laboratory animals by providing animal care and husbandry services, monitoring animal health, and maintaining animal care facilities in compliance with university and federal standards. You will also provide routine and specialized care for a variety of species of small laboratory animals which are used by scientists for research and education at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Specific areas of focus will include:
- Animal husbandry.
- Observing and monitoring basic animal health.
- Documentation and record keeping.
- Room and facility maintenance.
What we can offer:
This position offers a beginning base salary of $28,000 to $29,000 annually. In addition, we will underwrite the costs of your acquiring your AALAS Technician Certification, including Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT), Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT), and Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG). We'll also pay the costs for you to attend professional meetings (such as the AALAS annual meeting) as warranted.
The University of Colorado also offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement (with a 2-for-1 employer match), generous paid time off, tuition benefit and RTD ECO Bus Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What you should know:
This position will include some shift work.
Be engaged. Be collaborative. Be yourself. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- One year of experience caring for, feeding, or providing health care for animals in a veterinary, laboratory, breeding or boarding facility. College coursework in a field of study related to the work assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
What we'd like you to have:
- Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to listen and accurately record information.
- Willingness to promote effective analysis to determine causes of problems and propose solutions.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail oriented environment.
- Ability and willingness to apply strict clinical standards, policies and procedures.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
What you will need:
- Experience working in an animal research facility.
- Experience handling small rodents and animals.
- Experience using a variety of cage wash equipment.
- Experience with the movement of freight.
- Experience managing inventory.
- Knowledge of desktop applications and basic computer functions.
- Experience entering and manipulating data in a database.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by June 23, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials AS ONE DOCUMENT/PDF to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
Please name your document as follows: First-Last-Resume-CL-09880.
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10110 - Office of Animal Resources
Posting Date: Jun 19, 2017
Closing Date: Jun 23, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00003046