Assistant Dean for Academic Programs
Job ID: 41842
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 07/21/2017
College of Law
The Assistant Dean for Academic Programs directs and manages activities related to improving the academic success of College of Law students. Reports directly to the Dean, serving as a member of the law school's management team to coordinate academic program oversight, registrar and academic advising efforts, and strategic initiatives for new programs.
- Oversees student records and registrar activities, resolving issues or conflicts between law school and university policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance of JD program (including certificate and joint-degree programs), as well as non-JD programs, with ABA Standards for Legal Education as well as SACS accreditation standards. Serves as primary contact for joint-degree programs.
- Manages the collection and reporting of student data, including progress on student learning outcome goals as required by ABA/SACS and Bar Exam data as required by the Legislature and Board of Governors, ensuring compliance with all reporting requirements.
- Works closely with the Program Coordinator for non-JD programs and assists with monitoring program success and recommending program changes or other actions to the Dean.
- Works closely with Career Services Office to track academic performance related to career goals of students, customizing one-on-one advising efforts accordingly.
- Works closely with Associate Dean for Student Affairs on Bar Exam performance data. Oversees and continuously evaluates Bar preparation programming and advising efforts.
- Works closely with faculty members to design and implement academic advising programming specific to particular curricular areas and related disciplines.
- Continually evaluates current trends to seek ideas for new advising and programming ideas, particularly those related to enhancing Bar Exam performance and student learning outcomes.
- Seeks opportunities to participate in academic excellence and/or interdisciplinary initiatives on campus, and assists with efforts to pursue opportunities for external funding of programs and initiatives.
- Communicates regularly with the Dean, faculty, and others to ensure that the Academic Programs Office is meeting the needs of the College and its students.
J.D. degree and minimum five years of experience in a field directly related to academic advising, academic program oversight, law teaching, and/or bar exam preparation.
- Thorough understanding of and commitment to the goals and responsibilities of an ABA-accredited law school
- Experience with and interest in working with student populations
- Supervisory, management, and relationship-building skills
- Strategic planning/visioning aptitude
- Creativity, good judgment, and professionalism
- Effective organizational and management skills
- Strong written and presentation skills
- Aptitude for collecting/maintaining/interpreting data and generating reports
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy in work products
- Availability for work outside of regular business hours
- Participation in legal and/or civic organizations
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Florida State University College of Law
This is a Faculty position.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume. The College of Law prefers that applicants attach a resume and cover letter to the online application.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf