Student Development Specialist / First Year Experience Coordinator
Department: Student Affairs
Reports to: Director of Student Affairs
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) seeks a Student Development Specialist / First Year Experience Coordinator to assist in the daily operations of the Office of Student Affairs. The anticipated start date would be August 15, 2017 for the start of the fall semester.
AUAF, which is located in Kabul and funded in substantial part by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is entering a new phase of its development with a rapidly increasing enrollment and the construction of our new campus now underway. We offer both a challenging and rewarding environment for faculty and staff. Current enrollment figures are approximately 1,000 students. The Office of Student Affairs is an integral part of the university’s plans to provide student support services equivalent to those found in American colleges and universities but reflecting the special needs and circumstances of a unique Afghan student body.
The Student Development Specialists are responsible for advising primarily first-year students in the undergraduate program (UG), teaching at least 3 sections of the 1-credit UNV 100: University Success seminar each semester (and summer as needed), and assisting in the coordination and planning of certain office programs. This position will be responsible for implementing and coordinating AUAF First Year Experience Program to help increase retention and success rates of new students.
- Direct operations of First Year Experience (FYE) program, including hiring, supervising, and evaluating peer mentors, organizing New Student Orientation and convocations, tracking and supporting at risk first year students, etc.
- In collaboration with the registrar office, tracks student enrollment and retention statistics, gathers data, and writes reports regarding program success and impact.
- Coordinate First Year Experience program activities with other departments within AUAF,
- Serve as an academic advisor for freshmen students,
- Teach up to 3 sections of 1-credit UNV 100 class each semester,
- Prepare course syllabi and lesson plans for the UNV 100 course,
- Maintain accurate student records for advising, grading and attendance, and submitting grade reports within the established deadlines.
- Demonstrate a professional attitude, philosophy, and commitment which promote student growth and learning,
- Serve on committees both formal and ad hoc as assigned,
- Demonstrate a commitment to the institutional mission, goals, and objectives,
- Adhere to AUAF Faculty and/or Staff Handbooks as applicable and other university policies and procedures.
- Develop, maintain, and promote a positive working environment among faculty and other co-workers.
- Perform all and additional duties as assigned by the Director of Student Affairs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics:
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of an academic environment.
- Knowledge of theories and best practices of student development.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of housing and residence life within a university environment.
- Knowledge of student activities, event planning, and/or new student orientation.
- Direct experience working within an American system of higher education.
- Ability and knowledge in maintaining a high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to operate a personal computer including Microsoft Office programs.
- Masters degree in Student Affairs, College Student Personnel, Higher Education, or a closely related field.
- 1-3 years experience working in a college or university environment.
- Understanding of college student development theory.
- Experience working in an Islamic country and/or a developing nation.
- Teaching experience.
- Understanding and/or direct work experience within the American system of higher education
- Work experience with international and ESL students.
- Experience in a diverse, multi-cultural working environment.
Any interested persons must apply by sending the following information. Any applications that do not contain all 3 items listed will not be considered for the position:
3)List of 3 Professional References (this list must contain the names, job titles, phone numbers and email addresses as well as how you know each person).
Applications will be screened as soon as they are received. We are aggressively looking to fill these very important positions as soon as we find the appropriate candidates.
*Only qualified applicants will be contacted to set up formal interviews.
The complete application packet should be submitted in MS Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org