VETERINARY CARE TECH
Veterinary Care TechnicianJob Description:
The Veterinary Care Technician reports to the Vet Care Manager and Clinical Veterinarians. The individual must be competent in clinical care, induction, surgery & anesthesia, post op care, restraint and handling, injection & sample techniques, and animal identification of multiple species. Provides veterinary care to a wide range of species of animals that may include (but not limited to) mice, rats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, dogs, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, non-human primates, amphibians, reptiles, pigeons, chickens, cattle, etc. Maintains health monitoring records and schedules, collects diagnostic samples, and assist veterinarians health surveillance and record keeping. This requires a basic knowledge of standards set forth by the USDA and the Natl Resch Council guide for care & use of lab animals. Provides triage and treatment to research animals and reports animal care and health problems to the attending veterinarian. Performs inspections of animal facilities to insure compliance. May be involved in teaching investigators animal handling and injection techniques. Need excellent record keeping skills, strong computer skills, interpersonal/communication skills and provide good customer service. Must be able to work in a close team environment as well as independently with little supervision. Some species are potentially aggressive and some may carry infections that are hazardous to humans or other animals. Prefer a licensed veterinary technician (VTNE) that has graduated from an accredited veterinary technology program. Prefer 1+ years of vet tech experience in a vet clinic or lab animal medicine. AALAS ALAT certification at time of hire or within 18 months of start date. Some animals may be experimentally infected. You may be required to be vaccinated to work with these animals or enter their rooms.
- Provides clinical care to laboratory animals as instructed by Clinical Veterinarians. Provides anesthesia and surgical support for multiple species as necessary. Maintains data-base for clinical cases. This includes performing basic diagnostic procedures ie. CBC, chemistry, fecals, FIV, Feleuk, heartworm. Also gives injections, administers oral medications, removes sutures, dresses wounds and changes bandages, and provides other routine veterinary procedures.
- Processes incoming animals and assists in routine health maintenance. This includes: Preparing records for incoming animals, drawing blood for laboratory processing from animal species, submitting properly labeled tubes and clinical information to the laboratory in a timely manner, coordinating laboratory requisitions with laboratory personnel, administers vaccines, antithelmintics, collects culture specimens, performs TB testing, fecal collection, and administers other medications as directed.
- Collects biological and tissue specimens for diagnostic evaluations from laboratory animals. This may include but is not limited to collecting blood samples, fecal samples, culture specimens, urine samples, skin scrapings, tissues from necropsy animals and any other specimen requested by the veterinary staff. Completion of the necessary laboratory record and requisitions is included. Involved in teaching and training employees and investigative staff. May support infectious disease and BSL2 projects and needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary negotiable depending on credentials and experience.Minimum Requirements:
A high school diploma and two years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Prefer AALAS ALAT certification at time of hire or within 18 months of start date. Prefer Vet Tech License (VTNE). Prefer AS or BS in accredited veterinary technology program. Prefer 1+ years of vet tech experience in a vet clinic or lab animal medicine.Special Instructions to Applicants:
- To be considered for this position all applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of references.
- This position requires a background check.
- Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.
- This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.