Campus Safety and Security Coordinator
The University of Mary invites applications for a full-time, exempt Campus Safety and Security Coordinator. The Campus Safety and Security Coordinator provides leadership in the development and coordination of a comprehensive safety and security program that builds and maintains a culture of preparedness and safety at the university and includes a robust education and training program for students, faculty, and staff. S/He develops and maintains emergency operations manuals employing best practices and provides oversight for parking and traffic safety, ensuring compliance with the Clery Act and other state and federal mandates involving campus safety.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Provides leadership for the overall coordination of a high-quality and comprehensive safety and security program at the university
- Builds and maintains a university-wide culture of emergency preparedness and safety and oversees a robust education and training program for students, faculty, and staff that includes drills that prepare the university community to more effectively respond to emergencies (e.g. severe weather, fire, violence, medical and mental health emergencies, etc.) and educational programs designed to prevent violent crimes, sexual assault, bullying, substance abuse, etc.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with community-based safety and security entities (e.g. law enforcement, the fire department, the county emergency operations center, emergency medical services, the community violence intervention agency, etc.) in order to more effectively serve the university community
- Serves as the contract administrator for the university’s emergency notification system (ENS) and supervises the daily operation system
- Supervises departmental employees
- Coordinates the development and ongoing testing of the university’s emergency operations plan and procedure manuals
- Coordinates the planning, execution, and evaluation of the university’s annual observance of National Campus Safety Awareness Month
- Provides leadership to ensure the university’s compliance with the Clery Act by collecting and submitting crime statistics and data to the U.S. Department of Education and by overseeing publication of the university’s annual security report by the October 1 deadline each year
- Serves as the contract administrator for the university’s private security services at all university locations, resolving problems and ensuring quality performance of contracted services
- Develops and maintains a professional record-keeping system to document incidents and departmental activities
- Coordinates public presentations that describe the services and programs offered by the Department of Campus Safety and Security to students, prospective students, parents, faculty, staff, camp and conference attendees, and others as needed
- Collaborates with academic programs to create meaningful work and internship experiences in the department for students interested in careers in criminal justice, safety, etc
- Provides oversight for the university’s parking and traffic safety program, training and supervising staff who enforce associated policies
- Develops campus safety and parking policies and procedures for administrative approval
- Submits an annual report summarizing program activity, highlights, challenges, the status of annual goals, a budget summary, proposed goals, and a proposed budget
- Maintains current certifications and training
- Upholds and promotes the Christian, Catholic, Benedictine mission of the University of Mary
- Supports the ongoing implementation of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities
- Builds a culture of ready and earnest hospitality in the Office of Student Development and throughout the university in accord with Saint Benedict’s admonition that all be received as Christ
- A Bachelor's degree in Emergency Management, Criminal Justice, Education, Behavioral Sciences, or other field closely related to the position responsibilities
- A minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience in public safety, safety education, law enforcement, private security, etc.
- Prior experience in a progressive administrative and/or supervisory capacity, prior experience developing emergency operations policies and procedures and presenting safety education programs and training
Knowledge and Skills Include:
- Broad knowledge of best practices in campus safety and security
- Knowledge of and ability to monitor compliance with state and federal laws and regulations regarding campus safety, including but not limited to the Clery Act, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), Title IX, and the Family Educational Records and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Ability to relate well with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to effectively assess, evaluate, and manage various emergency and crisis situations
- Ability to develop effective safety education and training programs
- Ability to teach, instruct, and prepare effective public presentations using electronic technology
- Ability to write effective policies and procedures and create brochures and other print or electronic information pieces
- Ability to lead, direct, and effectively supervise others and to maintain a professional demeanor and appropriate discretion
- Certification in First Aid and CPR
The University of Mary is a private, Christian, Catholic, Benedictine university that welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds. Infusing Benedictine values throughout the educational experience, Mary offers distinguished, professionally-focused academic programs enlivened by the liberal arts, global and civic service, robust internships, and mentoring by respected faculty. As one of the most affordable private universities in the nation, Mary offers exceptional educational value as well as outstanding scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
For more information on the University of Mary, please watch a short video by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/Go37Hy6QrVs
We welcome your interest in joining the University of Mary. To apply, email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to University of Mary, Attn: Human Resources, 7500 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504.
Equal Opportunity Employer