Substance Abuse Counselor
Peer I is a substance abuse treatment program for adult men with chronic histories of substance abuse/dependence; many serving some form of legal sentence with the state of Colorado. This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) position will interact and monitor client's behavior on a continuum. In addition this position will conduct therapeutic treatment groups as well as individual to assist in client overall recovery and rehabilitation.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Maintain an ongoing case load and fulfil all legal requirements in regards to documentation of client's behavior, progress, problems which will be maintained in Electronic Health Records in CareLogic and paperwork in client central file. Record keeping must be in accordance to all legal mandates as directed by Office of Behavioral Health, Division of Criminal Justice, Signal Behavior Health and Department of Corrections.
• Conduct weekly cognitive behavioral group sessions such as Strategies of Self Improvement and Change, Seeking Safety (Trauma informed care), Relapse Prevention, Anger Management as well as weekly and monthly individual sessions to monitor client's progress.
• As a counselor this position will be responsible to assist, develop and maintain on going treatment plan that is dynamic in nature.
• This position will attend on going supervision meetings with immediate supervisor as well as other treatment meetings that are schedules throughout the month.
• Maintain continuing education requirements for profession growth and development in accordance with licensing standards.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $35,340 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. To ensure ARTS program integrity, prospective employees may be required to submit to pre-employment urine testing.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
*A high school diploma or GED
*One year of experience appropriate to the assignment.
Conditions of Employment
*CAC II or higher. A MA, MSW, LCSW, LPC, or MFT can substitute for the CAC requirement.
*Must possess and maintain a valid State of Colorado Driver's License or be able to obtain a valid State of Colorado driver's license within 30 days of hire
*Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check. Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) AND the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
*Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
*In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), ARTS cannot employ individuals (who may have contact with residents) who have (1) engaged in sexual abuse in a prison, jail, lockup, community confinement facility, juvenile facility, or other Institution (as defined in 42 U.S. C. § 1997); (2) been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse; or (3) been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in (1-3) of this section. Material omissions regarding such misconduct, or the provision of materially false information, shall be grounds for termination
*BA or higher
*Experience working in an adult focused substance abuse treatment environment or therapeutic community
*Experience working with offender population
*Experience documenting behaviors according to established policies and procedures
*Experience observing, monitoring and documenting urinalysis/breathalyzer testing
*Experience in observing, monitoring and documenting medication usage
*Experience in head counts/bed check
*Experience filing and auditing clinical charts
*Experience writing incident reports
*Experience and knowledge of Federal Confidentiality laws concerning Drug and Alcohol treatment and HIPAA
• Ability to multi-task and attention to details
• Ability to observe and evaluate behavior that is abnormal or concerning
• Has good written and verbal communication skill
• Has good interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage difficult behaviors
• Ability to comply with established rules, policies, and procedures
• Ability to develop appropriate therapeutic relationships with clients
• Ability to establish clear boundaries with clients
• Ability to be open-minded and non-judgmental
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3 professional references. 4). Letters of reference. 5). List any other required documents here. Questions should be directed to Ken Gaipa at Ken.Gaipa@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Feb 9, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ken Gaipa
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00217691