Student Life Specialist
Medgar Evers College (MEC), a nationally recognized leader in urban-serving education, is one of twenty three colleges within the dynamic City University New York (CUNY) System. Named for the late civil rights leader, Medgar Wiley Evers (1925-1963), the College's mission is to develop and maintain high quality, professional, career-oriented undergraduate degree programs in the context of liberal education.
Located in Central Brooklyn, MEC was established in 1970 with a mandate to meet the educational and social needs of the Central Brooklyn community, currently enrolling 7,000 students in degree programs. Students represent 105 countries around the world! MEC students obtain Associate degrees in 8 fields, and Baccalaureate degrees in 18 fields. They are instructed by over 208 Full-time dedicated faculty members who must maintain a portfolio of scholarship and research. To meet the needs of its students, the College offers courses and programs at various times, is growing their online program offerings, and in offsite locations. The College is committed to a student-centered education and advancing knowledge through scholarly research.
Reporting to the Pipeline Director, the Student Life Specialist will support the College in the implementation of the Medgar Evers College Presidential Pipeline Initiative.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of Arts programs
- Develop arts programs and guide their implementation
- Visit schools and present to parents, students ad staff and manage communications both internally and externally
- Administer programs which encourage parent involvement, student and principal engagement, and facilitate teacher training.
- Foster relationships with guidance counselors, teachers, students, parents, program directors and others by assisting in the development of appropriate programming and services
- Identify, write and implement grants which will support the delivery of program objectives
- Assist in the identification and targeting of student populations interested in classes offered by the program
- Produce and maintain high-quality quantitative data
- Collaborate with College Now, Admissions, Deans and Administrative Offices
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Develops and implements programming, services, and learning opportunities for students, promoting the personal development of a diverse student population.
- Administers one or more student affairs programs, providing program management, assistance with policy development, supervision and training of all professional and support staff, budget monitoring, and report preparation
- Serves as a resource to student groups and/or populations as a consultant and advocate for their concerns
- Researches and stays current on higher education programs, trends, and issues with student impact
- Produces workshops and materials to support student programs; manages on-line communities; develops on-line social networking activities, and develops and maintains multimedia content on program web sites
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
July 16, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: Student Life Specialist
Job ID: 16898
Full/Part Time: Full-Time