Position Number 013225
Position Classification Title Accounting Technician
Functional Title Grant Specialist
Position Type Staff
The Office of Contracts and Grants is currently seeking a team-oriented individual with strong accounting and communication skills for an Accounting Technician position. Contracts and Grants is responsible for coordinating the administration and financial management of all contract and grant funds awarded to the University, and currently manages over 400 grant funds and $32 million of research funding per year, as well as, interacting and providing guidance to any department research administrator and/or faculty member who is awarded external funding (post-award). Other departments in the division include: Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Financial Planning and Budgets, Payroll and Purchasing.
During day-to-day operations in the Office of Contracts & Grants, staff have many decisions to make regarding compliance with award terms, allowable costs, entering grant data into Banner Finance, review and approve grant expenditures, invoicing and collections.
The key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing Banner grant file and fund setup with the Controller's Office
- Managing the quarterly Time & Effort Certification and Annual Sub Recipient Audit processes
- Preparing bank deposits and managing the grant accounts receivable collections activity, along with preparing and submitting journal and budget entries
- Establishing and managing grant award budgets; financial report preparation and reconciliation of several department clearing funds;
- Maintain Grant record Retention Schedule of all department documents
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in accounting work; or equivalent combination of training and experience. This is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to identify essential functions per ADA. examples of work are primarily essential functions of the majority of positions in this class, but may not be applicable to all positions.
Bachelors degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Recruitment Range $29,065 - $38,646
Org #-Department Contracts & Grants - Accounting - 56205
Work Hours of Position 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Accounting Technician
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Financial Program Monitoring and Management
- Ability to verify and ensure accuracy and validity of moderately complex transactions. Ability to examine accounting records to assure adherence to accounting standards and regulations. Ability to maintain and manage accounting records of moderate variety and complexity, including preparation of financial statements and reports.
- Ability to resolve problems of moderate complexity. Ability to select best solution from several options or where no precedent exists. Ability to make suggestions for and/or implement process improvements in the work unit. Ability to interpret oral and/or written guidelines to solve problems.
Knowledge - Technical
- Considerable knowledge of government accounting methods, procedures, and accounting practices needed to perform the work. Basic knowledge of program laws and regulations needed to perform the work.
- Ability to explain and interpret financial information.
Open Date 06/17/2017
Close Date 07/03/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 63
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a closely related field do you have?
- No Response
- 4 or more years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- * Is your education/experience directly related to the field of accounting?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu