Senior Communications Manager, School of Engineering and Science
The School of Engineering and Science (SES) at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ, seeks a senior communications manager who will be responsible for developing and maintaining the voice for all of the school's reputation, brand awareness, program and student recruitment communications initiatives.
The position is ideal for an experienced communications manager and writer that has developed strategic communications and content plans, and who can deliver technology, science and/or engineering related content for broad audiences. This is a new position in a high energy, exciting environment at a well-respected university that is at the forefront of innovation.
The manager in this position will lead the development and implementation of strategic editorial content and plans across multiple platforms including online and print materials, and will work closely with the Dean and senior faculty to recommend, create, execute and project manage communications materials that drive engagement of prospective students, faculty and research partners. The ideal candidate will be someone who understands the nuances of writing content for varied channels and audiences and appreciates that great research and student and faculty outcomes are the basis for great stories. S/he must understand how the rules of engagement change across different digital channels (websites, landing pages, blog posts, news, tweets and more).
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
- Refine and maintain the voice of the school, which is the largest of the four schools at Stevens.
- Develop, manage and execute a strategic communications plan that advances the Dean's goals for SES while supporting institutional positioning and strategic goals
- Develop content that positions SES research, achievements and outcomes advantageously across multiple channels, for varied audiences ranging from prospective students to academic peers and industry contacts.
- Learn and understand the components of academic reputation and develop plans that communicate effectively to peer audiences.
- Oversee, develop and maintain editorial content of SES web pages as well as SES news articles and social content, and be familiar with using analytics and SEO best practices to drive traffic and engage users.
- Act as a primary writer and editor of school-related print and digital communications. (Reports, brochures, newsletter, emails, flyers, banners and signage, etc.)
- Serve as project manager, coordinating the design and production with internal and external resources to ensure editorial, visual and production consistency, brand standards, quality, timeliness and efficiency.
Besides highly developed writing and editing skills, and a track record of plan development, creativity and innovative thinking, the manager will:
- Supervise the work of other content providers and act as the senior editor for all SES content.
- Meet with and interview faculty members on a regular basis to determine new content opportunities that support the positioning and objectives of the school
- Recommend and manage budgets across all communications programs; including tracking expenses against approved estimates and flagging potential overages
- Partner with other team members to ensure that corresponding Stevens-wide messages are implemented in a consistent and high-impact fashion
- Manage multiple deadlines and priorities utilizing strong relationship building skills
- Regularly evaluate communication effectiveness and implement new approaches/strategies to improve
- Be comfortable working with and presenting to stakeholders at different levels
- Five years' experience in a writing and content development capacity in a technology, engineering or science environment
- At least two years of content/editorial management experience reviewing and guiding the work of other content providers
- A proven track record in strategic content or communications plan development
- Higher education experience is highly desired and preferred
- Writing samples will be required of all finalists for this position
About the School of Engineering and Science at Stevens Institute of Technology
Today, with eight departments and 50 academic programs, the Charles V. Schaefer, Jr. School of Engineering & Science (SES) is the largest of the four schools at Stevens. It maintains a rigorous commitment to preparing the next generation of technology leaders by offering a multi-disciplinary, design-based education.
With its intensive curriculum for undergraduates, masters and doctoral candidates, the SES is dedicated to supporting hands-on learning, research and technology transfer that provides each student with invaluable, experiential knowledge. The SES is globally recognized for its world-class faculty and leading-edge research facilities.
Learn more about Stevens and our 147 years of innovation and technology-oriented higher education leadership at Stevens.edu.
Office of Academic Communications and Marketing
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police