Lab Director - Generation Code
The Lab Manager is responsible for overseeing the Generation Code Lab operations, leading classes, working with students and parents, and managing a team of support instructors. The Lab Manager will also play an integral role in business development and outreach initiatives. In addition, the Lab Manager is responsible for overseeing all facilities and IT operations within the Lab.
Benefits of working at Generation Code include:
-A competitive salary based upon experience and skills; paid, initial and ongoing training; and paid vacation.
-Comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, and 401k.
-A fast paced, exciting and rewarding work environment
-Incentive-driven bonus opportunities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Operations and Personnel:
- Recruit, train, and manage a team of highly effective instructors that embody Generation Code's pedagogical approach.
- Schedule camps and courses in coordination with Community Outreach and Marketing teams
- Ensure appropriate instructor staffing levels during all open hours.
- Ensure strong delivery of camps and courses by providing instructors with clear and actionable feedback.
- Communicate effectively up and down the ladder with teammates, support staff, and leadership.
- Maintain a student-ready facility at all times
- Coordinates with janitorial staff to ensure facility remains clean, student-ready, safe and secured at all times.
- Coordinate with IT department to ensure that all hardware and systems work properly.
- Manage inventory for Lab supplies and collateral and places order requests and restocks as required.
- Take ownership and initiative to provide solution-oriented feedback and supporting actions to continually develop and improve operations, procedures, and customer service for the Lab and the organization as a whole.
- Ensure a positive learning and working environment through the effective use of praise and encouragement.
- Maintain responsibility as a key carrier and is responsible for opening and closing the Lab or ensuring a responsible team member is adequately trained to assume the responsibility when the Lab Manager is not available.
- Ensure that the Lab is in compliance with all lease terms and, local, state, and federal laws.
Marketing and Outreach:
- Manage the enrollment process from identifying prospective students to enrollment, including proactive outreach, answering parent questions (by email, phone, and in person), recording transactions (via e-commerce platform and other tracking systems as required), ensuring payment, and following up on student satisfaction.
- Represent Generation Code at local and national conferences, community events, and demo opportunities as needed.
- Stay up to date on local events and community outreach opportunities and collaborate with the Marketing and Community Outreach teams to ensure representation.
- Build awareness of the Lab and its programs through outreach to community leaders, parent groups, local schools, and other relevant groups.
- Build relationships with local businesses and identify opportunities to cross-promote.
- Present a polished and compelling sales message that results in student enrollment.
- Conduct marketing and networking activities and support the Marketing team's social media campaigns and initiatives.
- Develop a high level of familiarity with the Generation Code curriculum.
- Act as an instructional coach following Generation Code methods and processes.
- Oversee the administration of the Generation Code curriculum with regard to student assessment and diagnosis, development of learning plans, and documentation of progress.
- Provide solution-oriented feedback to the curriculum team as needed.
- Learn new content and seek support and professional development in areas outside of core knowledge or expertise.
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and the community in a professional and engaging manner
- Provide superior service throughout the enrollment process including parent outreach and session follow-ups to ensure student retention and satisfied student referrals
- Other duties as assigned
- From an accredited institution; Bachelor's degree in Education, Business, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited institution. Master's preferred.
- 3+ years' management and direct service sales experience required with a strong focus on customer service.
- Experience managing an afterschool program or tutoring center.
- Experience with and ability to lead and excel in a result-oriented environment focused primarily on education or youth.
- Experience in supplemental education sales.
- Small business or start-up experience.
- Demostration of exceptional leadership and management skills, entrepreneurial drive, and a growth mindset.
- Outstanding communication skills: In particular, an ability to build trust with parents and children.
- Organizational and administrative skills to successfully operate the Lab, manage personnel, maintain records, and keep customers satisfied.
- An understanding of, and willingness to, employ grassroots and guerilla marketing tactics.
- Instructional leadership and behavior management skills.
- Strong pedagogical knowledge of computer programming, along with a passion for education and working with K-12 students.
- Self-awareness and motivation to continually grow, develop, and pursue new knowledge and learning opportunities.
- Ability to create scalable systems and practices.
- Ability to self-teach and learn new content and curriculum in order to best serve students and deliver curriculum.
- Time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines, multitask, and manage schedules effectively.
- Demonstrated initiative in applying problem-solving skills and mediation to workplace challenges.
- Ability to thrive in a start-up culture with its associated ambiguity and need for agility, strategic input, and adaptation.
- Ability to and willingness to go above and beyond to get the job done.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically while executing tactically in order to meet the organization's needs as it grows.
- A high level of initiative and relationship building skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 20% of time.
- Travel via plane, car, and public transportation is required to perform this job.
- Must have the flexibility to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant.
- Must be able to lift 15 lbs.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Must be able to pass applicable background checks.
- Confident and flexible demeanor.
- This position is a full-time, exempt role, and will require non-traditional working hours, including Saturdays and the occasional holiday.
- Open-minded to learning new methods of teaching and problem solving.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing and team oriented personality and professional attitude.
- Must demonstrate care and compassion towards children along with excellent child management skills.
- Motivated to ensure that a student's time at Generation Code is memorable.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high levels of self-motivation.
- Valid driver's license and access to reliable transportation.
- Flexibility to travel to and attend community events, and local happenings for promotional engagements, both within usual work hours and on occasion outside of normal working hours.
- Effectively copes with stressful situations.
- Strong mental acuity.
Working at Strayer is rewarding and each one of us is incredibly passionate about succeeding at our mission and that passion is contagious. With that in mind we are always in search of dedicated, talented individuals who want to be part of something that's enriching, challenging, and rewarding.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strayer.edu.
Strayer University is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law.