Research Scientist, Bioinformatics
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
Located in the heart of Washington D.C. on the George Washington Foggy Bottom campus, the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health has a new, state-of-the-art laboratory in the GW Science and Engineering Hall. Through multidisciplinary research involving innovative clinicians, researchers (dry and wet lab), and other professionals, the Liu Lab is seeking understand the role of the microbiome in modifying host susceptibility to important human pathogens ranging from HIV to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) through large longitudinal observational studies.
We are seeking a highly motivated, skilled, and collaborative computational biologist to contribute to multiple NIH-funded microbiome research projects. The position provides opportunity to (i) develop bioinformatics/statistics method for microbiome data analysis, multi-omics and clinical data integration (ii) apply existing and/or new methods to large scale datasets from multiple US and international cohorts and studies, and (iii) work in a high-performance computing environment.
The successful applicant will be an innovative researcher with a collaborative attitude, and strong self-management skills, as the individual will participate in multiple projects at any given time. The successful applicant will have excellent track record in (meta-)omics data analysis and strong dedication to scientific research.
This position works under limited supervision of the PI.
- Develop bioinformatics/statistics methods for microbiome data analysis, multi-omics and clinical data integration
- Testing and Incorporation of the analysis methods as pipelines in web accessible solutions or Python/R packages.
- Apply existing and/or new methods to large-scale next-generation sequencing datasets generated within a wide range of cohorts as well as in international projects.
- The candidate is expected to be able to setup, use, maintain, modify and/or troubleshoot microbiome analysis pipelines and databases for sequence and biosample information (SQL, MYSQL, or other database languages)
- Participate in scientific presentation and manuscript preparation
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Requires a master’s degree/PhD and at least 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area, to include at least 2 years of research and/or college level teaching in a field basic to the work to be performed.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Ph.D. or Masters in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data mining or related field.
• Demonstrated computer-programming skills in Java and/or scripting languages such as Perl and/or Python.
• Knowledge of Unix/Linux/Mac OS X/Windows platforms.
• Relational database expertise including SQL and schema design.
• Experience in metagenomic or microbiome data analysis, preferably applied towards large datasets.
• 3+ years experience in Bioinformatics, including independent algorithm/software development and analysis of next-generation microbial sequencing data.
• Undergraduate or graduate coursework in Microbiology, Biology, or related topics such as Epidemiology
• Knowledge of C/C++, R/S-plus.
• Ability to apply statistical and machine learning techniques to solve “big data” problems
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 4 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5:00 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000321 Job Open Date: 06/16/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or Masters in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Data Mining or related field?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have 3+ years experience in Bioinformatics relevant to this position? Please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter