Associate University Counsel- Chicago
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
University of Illinois
Associate University Counsel
The University of Illinois seeks an Associate University Counsel. The Associate University Counsel is a vital member of in-house legal team at the University of Illinois, serving primarily at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Under the direction of the Campus Legal Counsel, the Associate University Counsel will have primary responsibility for the management of numerous legal matters and will provide timely and effective advice and counsel to various University units and personnel. Additional responsibilities include:
The Associate University Counsel is expected to:
1. Provide legal advice on a variety of issues that arise at a large research university, with a particular focus and emphasis on labor matters, under the general supervision of the Campus Legal Counsel;
2. Act as attorney for the University on diverse range of legal subject matters, including serving as a specialist in the area of labor law by representing the University in employee grievance and union arbitration proceedings and providing legal advice relating to labor disputes, unionization efforts, labor negotiations, and collective bargaining agreements ;
3. Serve as point of contact for various units on behalf of Office of University Counsel and represent Office in a manner that promotes professionalism, collegiality, collaboration, confidence and mutual respect;
4. Recognize issues that may require utilization of outside counsel and work with Campus Legal Counsel and other personnel to retain and supervise vendors in a manner that maximizes efficiency, effectiveness and fiscal prudence;
5. Anticipate potential legal issues and exercise reliable and well-reasoned judgment to provide advice and counsel in a manner that fosters sound decision-making;
6. Keep the Campus Legal Counsel apprised of matters that may be a significant risk to the university or of significant interest to the Board of Trustees and senior administrators;
7. Support the Campus Legal Counsel and enterprise leadership in fostering team building and mentoring of less senior attorneys and staff;
8. Perform other professional functions associated with the provision of legal advice and services as directed by the Campus Legal Counsel, including serving on or providing counsel to various University committees and task forces.
Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited Law School
Licensed and in good standing to practice law in State of Illinois, or eligible for admission to practice within six months of employment.
1. Five or more years' significant legal experience, including preference for work in University setting or other comparable in-house environment and relevant labor law experience.
2. Demonstrated success in progressive responsibilities, including attention to innovative problem solving, initiative and reliability.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with University, campus and other administrative units and personnel.
4. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
5. Ability to work independently while effectively keeping supervisors, colleagues and clients informed and engaged.
6. Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to address difficult and complex issues
7. Strong interpersonal skills demonstrating courtesy, diplomacy and a collaborative approach that reflect a commitment to effective client service.
8. Demonstrated understanding of unique and often complex decision-making dynamics associated with working in University system and highly functioning in-house counsel office.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by July 6, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
HR Service Center
809 S. Marshfield Ave
Chicago, IL 60612
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups
Close Date: 07/06/2017