Research Scientist - Department of Plant Biology (A1700373)
Department of Plant Biology
School of Integrative Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Plant Biology seeks a Research Scientist to perform research in the area of mathematics of phylogenetic inference to contribute to the development of more accurate and potentially faster tree inference.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop computational and analytical methods for the inference of phylogenetic trees containing both hard and soft polytomies. This may build on distance-based approaches to tree reconstruction.
- Write code to apply methods for inference of evolutionary processes in cultural and social datasets.
- Supervise graduate students (assign/review work and set goals).
- PhD in mathematical sciences or related discipline
- 1 year postdoctoral experience
- Experience with algorithms or theorems related to phylogenetic tree reconstruction
- 2-3 years postdoctoral experience
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a 50% part-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is August 16, 2017. This is a one year appointment with possibility of renewal based on funding and favorable annual review. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by June 30, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Marty Forrest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: LAS/SIB
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Scientist - Department of Plant Biology (A1700373)
Open Date: 06/16/2017
Organization Name: Plant Biology