Sr User Experience Researcher
Requisition # 2017-7657
Department Academic Technology Services
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 6/16/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 7/14/2017
Princeton University's Office of Information Technology (OIT) is seeking an experienced user experience researcher for its newly established and growing User Experience Office (UXO). The UXO promotes user-centered, inclusive design and provides the leadership, consultation, and specialized resources that foster the University-wide adoption of UX best practices.
The Senior User Experience Researcher provides expert guidance and user research and usability testing support to OIT and the University's many departments and programs. The person in this position establishes practices and promotes methods and tools to advance the usability, usefulness, and desirability of applications and websites produced and used by the University community.
As a member of the User Experience Office, the UX researcher is a leader who places people at the center of the process. All services, principles, and techniques are understood within that context and carried out with a keen sensitivity to meeting human needs. The UX researcher serves as a mentor and advocate who possesses a deep knowledge of UX best practices and is committed to developing the skills and communicating the importance of UX design throughout the University.
- Establish and promote UX tools and techniques for user research and usability testing
- Partner with teams to apply practices, tools, and techniques to the design of software and websites, as well as the acquisition of third-party products
- Design, conduct, analyze and present research and tests for select projects
- Select and support tools for use by teams to conduct effective usability tests and better understand users
- Design and support a usability testing environment for use by all members of the University community
- Serve as an expert resource for questions about user research and usability testing
- Foster relationships that establish a strong user experience network at the University
- Seek feedback to continually assess and improve services
- Design and present training in UX concepts for IT and professional staff
- Create and promote outreach activities and materials to advance UX design
- Produce accessibility reports, articles and presentations
- Keep informed of emerging best practices and developments in UX design
- Stay actively involved with professional organizations and apply knowledge gained to improve UXO services
- Assist in the design and maintenance of the UXO website
- At least 7 years of professional experience in the user experience field, at least four of which are in UX research
- Experience in user research methods such as conducting contextual interviews, card sorting, persona and scenario development, journey mapping, task analysis, describing mental models, prototype testing, A/B tests, and expert reviews
- Experience planning, running, and reporting usability tests in various formats including in-person, remote, moderated and unmoderated
- Experience in testing for users with diverse abilities
- Experience in designing and running both formal and guerrilla usability tests
- Must possess a portfolio of research artifacts that demonstrates experience and skill
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent critical-thinking and data analysis skills
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently, with or without direction
- Ability to align work to strategic goals and within situational matrix reporting
- Highly motivated to help colleagues and the institution succeed
- Enthusiastic, self-driven, and flexible
- Professional experience working in higher-education
- Bachelor's degree, Advanced degree preferred
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.