The university department responsible for planning, organization and execution of conferences and events scheduled through CU Conference Services. Employee in this position will represent the University of Colorado at Boulder to organizers and participants for conferences and events which are affiliated with the University of Colorado. This is a full time professional exempt position.
Who we are:
CU Conference Services staff are the experts on the University of Colorado, Boulder campus on providing internal and external clients with professional comprehensive conference management services. Our services include lodging, meeting space, audio visual, catering, dining and tradeshows of all sizes whether hosting a conference or event on or off campus we've got it covered.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Conference Planning and Coordination
- Responsible for gathering meeting history for new groups.
- Conducts initial interview with clients to determine what services are needed and if all appropriate facilities have been scheduled based on their requirements.
- Provides professional guidance to client. Makes recommendations and advises clients to best match their needs and expectations to the conference/event resources, facilities, and services available through the university and the department.
- Serves as a resource/liaison for information on university and outside services and facilities, and recreational, cultural, and educational opportunities available in the area.
- Develops detailed plans for the specific needs of each client. When appropriate, makes reservations relating to housing, meals, meeting space, supplies, audio visual equipment, office equipment, transportation, special functions, etc.
- Works closely with scheduling coordinator to ensure all space and activities scheduled.
- Organizes and supervises such services as registration, brochure development and design, program participant correspondence, etc.
- Prepares preliminary budget based on information furnished by client. Extrapolates meeting organization as necessary to create some type of preliminary working budget document. Accurately develops, maintains, and monitors individual conference budgets.
- Prepares written materials for conferences including call for papers, brochures, etc.
- Coordinates with Housing & Dining Services conference accountant in all financial activities to ensure that proper procedures are followed. Responsible for keeping and creating accurate financial records related to each conference.
- Serves as a liaison between client and university and/or private vendor to contract for goods and services outside of the department. Coordinates and troubleshoots problems that may arise in the delivery of these goods and services. Such services may include transportation, audio visual equipment, hotel sleeping room/meeting rooms, catering, printed materials, catering, etc.
- Initiates purchase requests through office manager, follows standard office and university procedures, and monitors commitments for goods and services to ensure that the budget is not exceeded.
- Schedules and conducts planning meetings with client to ensure clear understanding of all arrangements.
- Schedules and participates in planning meetings with housing employees, other campus units, and/or outside vendors in a timely manner to ensure clear understanding of all arrangements.
- Prepares, negotiates, and executes detailed contracts describing facilities and services requested.
- Keeps systematic, detailed, and chronological records of all activities for each conference or event.
- Determines, orders, and supervises delivery of the following services:
- meeting space
- campus and hotel lodging space o audiovisual equipment
- catering (receptions, banquets, picnics, coffee breaks, etc. on and off site)
- conference registration
- hourly labor
- conference materials
- faculty contracts and honoraria
- Conducts site tours as necessary.
- Approves final billings.
- Negotiates and resolves billing or contractual disputes in a timely manner as necessary.
- Follows up with conference groups at conclusion of conference.
- Return telephone calls in a timely manner.
Strategic Partnerships & Relationships
- Develops rapport and maintains close working relationships with departmental and university constituents.
- Serve as formal CUCS liaison to 1-2 university departments/campus partners including meeting regularly to establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ensure members of CUCS staff remain up to date on standard processes of liaison partner.
- Provide timely updates to CUCS staff on policy/procedure changes of liaison partner.
- Participates in department and campus committee work and fulfills all tasks discussed and/or requested.
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with external clients and constituents.
- Attends staff meetings, individual consultations, and training programs.
- Assists scheduling coordinator with preparation of proposals as necessary.
- Researches and prepares reports at the request of the CUCS Director.
- Manages special projects at the request of the CUCS Assistant Director or Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Duties Hires, supervises, and trains student conference assistants.
- Supervises conference assistants and coordinator assistants when assigned to coordinator's conferences.
- Ability to effectively supervise the work of others.
What you should know:
- This position requires the ability to work evenings and weekends in support of conferences and/or campus events.
- Ability to interact effectively with various constituencies of the university.
- Valid driver's license is required.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position starts at $41,000 -commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Empowered. Be Inventive . Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree. Preference will be given to degrees in business, hotel management, commercial recreation or tourism or related field.
- Proficiency in basic computer applications (Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft Outlook e-mail, previous experience with a conference management software system.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
What you will need:
- Knowledge of the physical campus facilities and residence hall facilities.
- Knowledge of campus department and residence hall policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to accurately prepare individual conference budgets in a timely fashion.
- Knowledge of planning and coordination steps for conferences.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and grammar.
- Knowledge of the appropriate questions to ask in guiding client through the conference planning process.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate clearly and politely on the telephone.
- Ability to draft correspondence, reports, etc.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to gather information about conference services desired, research and determine appropriate expenses associated with services, prepare a budget document reflecting these expenses or extrapolating as necessary.
- Ability to establish and maintain good rapport with clients, staff and other departments.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assignments effectively with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze information, assess situations and make decisions.
- Ability to negotiate with others.
- Ability to confront and communicate with others in a conflict situation to resolution.
What we'd like you to have:
Three years' experience in a hotel, association or university conference office setting with responsibilities in the area of conference coordination.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by July 4th, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09838.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Jun 16, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 4, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00688488