Administrative Assistant III
University of Colorado Denver College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Geography and Environmental Sciences Department
Administrative Assistant III
Position #707864 - Requisition 09951
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The purpose of this full-time, state classified Administrative Assistant III is to provide administrative support to the Chair, faculty, and graduate program of the Geography and Environmental Sciences department, and to help coordinate the work unit with other university units.
The target hire start date for this position is September 1, 2017.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Regular coordination meetings with the Department Chair to set priorities and meet departmental deadlines.
- Schedule student appointments during Chair Office Hours.
- Represent the Department as first contact when visitors, students, faculty and staff enter the office.
- Coordinate FCQ administration.
- Coordinate room scheduling for Department controlled spaces.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail.
- Review and create web content, such as item updates, relevant academic resources, photos, resource links, etc., and publish new materials to the web.
- Manage and update social media communications, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Coordinate production and revision, including design format and content, of departmental marketing materials, such as program brochures, event flyers, etc. Maintain printed inventory.
- Coordinate production of departmental newsletter.
- Assist in planning and organizing departmental events, including determining rooming needs, catering arrangements, etc.
- Develop, review, improve and maintain departmental databases and digital files for: alumni list; course syllabi; in-house undergraduate and graduate student records, student organization activities, honors student progress, etc.
- Gather complete and timely data and periodically produce reports from databases.
- Maintain and track inventory of all office supplies (including stationary and business cards) and equipment for the Department, anticipating potential needs, placing the request for ordering as necessary.
- Place orders with Program Assistant using appropriate purchasing procedures, adhere to purchasing guidelines and requirements, and complete necessary paperwork.
- Coordinate maintenance of copy machine, printers, etc.
- Schedule student appointments during Graduate Director Office Hours.
- Support Graduate Application Process by keeping track of applications in coordination with Graduate School; preparing Excel summary of applicants' profiles to present to faculty for review; sending letters of acceptance in coordination with Graduate Coordinator; admission/not admitted; and keeping track of acceptances/declines & coordinate these with the Graduate School.
- Organize orientation logistics, including communication with incoming student.
- Coordinate with Director on internal program progress and graduation deadlines
- Facilitate Communication with Graduate Students.
- Support Graduate Student Handbook development.
- Various other duties or tasks as assigned and/or needed.
Hiring Salary Range: $3,458 - $3,823 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
Three years of general clerical experience, which included at least one year of experience with basic web design/management.
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
College or university course work, appropriate to the work assignment, may substitute for the general clerical experience on a year-for-year basis, but not for the one year of specific experience.
- Experience creating and editing professional documents/publications.
- Experience with database management (Excel and/or Access)
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with marketing and communication.
- Experience working with graduate program administrative processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Outlook, and Excel/Access.
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat Professional and graphics applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with a wide variety of individuals.
- Pleasant, professional demeanor and a service orientation; ability to handle frequent interruptions in a positive manner.
- Strong grasp of office protocols and professional practices.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize work, attend to detail and meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively meet multiple demands.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to review policies and exercise good judgment in the interpretation and application of policies, procedures and rules.
- Ability to analyze different situations and challenges and resolve problems.
- Sensitivity to the impact and implications of decisions on the Department and University.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until July 7, 2017. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30102 - CLAS-Geography
Posting Date: Jun 15, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 7, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Sheri Kalina Jungman
Posting Contact Email: Sheri.KalinaJungman@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00707864