Tax Reporting and Compliance Director
Tax Reporting and Compliance Director
Controller Operations - 926101
Is this an internal posting only?
8am-5pm; Mon-Fri, or as required
The System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused accounting operations for the University of North Texas System and component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Tax.
UNT System includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth and the University of North Texas at Dallas. The UNT System Administration is based in Downtown Dallas. UNT System is governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the Governor of Texas and is the only Texas public university system headquartered in the vibrant North Texas region. The three independent universities of the UNT System have combined enrollment of just over 42,000 students across five major teaching locations, including each main campus, as well as Frisco and Downtown Dallas. UNT System institutions award more than 8000 degrees each year including the largest number of master's and doctoral degrees in the region. Overall, the UNT System boosts the Texas economy by nearly $5.2 billion each year.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The Controller Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Tax Reporting and Compliance Director to join our team. This position is located in Denton at the UNT System Business Service Center (Woodhill Square).
The Tax Reporting and Compliance Director is responsible for providing direction, guidance and oversight of tax reporting and for tax compliance for the University of North Texas System. The Director works at the highest levels of integrity and honesty to create strong and enduring collaborative relationships in tax compliance with Student Accounting, Treasury, General Counsel, and throughout UNT System. Performs highly complex (senior-level) supervisory program work. Work involves establishing goals and objectives; developing guidelines, procedures, policies, rules, and regulations; developing schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving goals; evaluating activities; developing and evaluating budget requests; and coordinating activities. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Lead consensus-building discussions and involve others in the policy-making process regarding tax compliance management.
* Serve as a key contributor to the finance team and embrace collaboration and teamwork transparency and open communication.
* Foster a collaborative and service oriented approach to tax policies and procedures.
* Implement policies, procedures, related training materials and provide training to component institutions on relevant tax issues.
* Identify and monitor unrelated business income and activities.
* Assist component institutions on a variety of activities that generate unrelated business income.
* Gather documentation for unrelated business income analysis and prepare reports of the findings.
* Review contracts and agreements for services to determine whether there is unrelated business income impact.
* Assess tax positions for the UNT System Consolidated Financial Report and Annual Financial Reports.
* Monitor investment transactions by identifying tax planning opportunities, mitigating tax exposure, recommending tax effective methods, and explaining post-transaction tax compliance requirements.
* Prepare and review tax returns such as: annual exempt organization returns (Forms 990); sales tax returns; annual unclaimed property reports; quarterly and annual payroll tax returns; Form 1042 Foreign entities; Form 1098 T Students tuition statement, Form 8300 reporting the receipt of cash payments greater than $10,000, and business personal property listings.
* Work with the Office of General Counsel, Payroll, Accounts Payable and Travel & Reimbursement to research or resolve tax withholding and reporting issues.
* Continuously monitor and comply with tax laws and regulations.
* Serve as a key knowledge and technical resource on federal, state, local and tax issues with a focus on customer service excellence.
* Review withholding and exemption allowances under U.S. and foreign tax treaties.
* Provide guidance on tax exempt research and related tax topics.
* Monitor tax services provided by external vendors and consultants.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Taxation, or related field and seven years of closely related professional experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Thorough knowledge of taxation, financial analysis and accounting principles
* Extensive experience in Federal and state tax reporting requirements
* Knowledge of effective managerial methods and techniques and how to establish and maintain an effective workforce
* Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates
* Extensive knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
* Extensive knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly
* Ability to plan and conceptualize and make sound business decisions
Must exercise considerable independent and professional judgment in matters of significance
* Strong presentation skills
* Strong problem solving skills
* Strong critical thinking skills
* Strong planning and project management skills
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to work independently
* Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Master of Science in Taxation or JD.
* Experience in Texas higher education and State reporting requirements.
* Current Texas CPA license or ability to gain via reciprocity.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting