Director of Communications - Korbel School of Int. Studies
The Director of Communications oversees external and internal communications for the Josef Korbel School of International Studies. This position reports directly to the Dean, and will work in close collaboration with the Senior Associate Dean.
This position manages short- and long-range strategic communications for the School and, following University guidelines, oversees branding and positioning efforts. This position works in close partnership with the Schools graduate admissions office to market the School and its programs to prospective students. This includes serving as an advisor on advertising strategies as well as content management and production for the School's website.
The Director strategizes with the Dean and Senior Associate Dean on the positioning of the Josef Korbel School relative to peer institutions (in particular, APSIA schools) and implements marketing and branding standards accordingly. S/he helps manage the Schools external digital communications (website; e-publications, including the alumni relations e-newsletter; social media; etc.); print materials, including the annual review and marketing brochures; and internal communications, including the schools weekly newsletter and digital signage, to students, faculty and staff. The Director pitches media story ideas to the Universitys Division of Marketing and Communication and works to increase media coverage of the Josef Korbel School. S/he advises the Dean and other staff/faculty regarding student-specific communication and provides speaking points for staff and faculty of the Josef Korbel School.
- Work in close partnership with staff, faculty and the DU Division of Marketing and Communications to determine short- and long-range strategic communications for the School.
- In collaboration with DU media relations, support media appearances locally, nationally and internationally of the school's dean and faculty.
- Oversee branding and positioning efforts for the School, including usage of Korbel School and Korbel research center/unit usage or development of logos, in coordination with DU Marketing and Communications brand guidelines.
- Pitch media story ideas to DU Division of Marketing and Communications and work to increase media coverage of the Korbel School.
- Work in close partnership with the Executive Director of Graduate Enrollment and others to market the School and its programs to prospective students. Serve as advisor regarding advertising strategies.
- Participate in annual meetings and conferences as appropriate.
- Oversee the School's official social media channels and serve as an advisor to the School's centers and institutions on their uses of social media and website properties to ensure message alignment with the University and School.
- Work in close partnership with the Executive Director of Development and the Director of Alumni Relations with regard to fundraising, donor relations, and alumni relations marketing and communication; including occasional graphic design or oversight of contract graphic design resources.
- Assist Korbel Alumni Relations staff with the alumni e-newsletter.
- Oversee and manage Korbel School website, including any future website overhaul (choosing and working with an independent contractor, University Technology Services, and Marketing and Communications), website content management and production, updating and maintenance of the site, using the site to achieve strategic marketing and communications goals, etc.
- Assist colleagues with tasks related to School e-communications and print materials.
- Advise and assist the Dean and Senior Associate Dean with internal communication strategies and efforts at the School, including communications with students, staff and faculty.
- Provide speaking points to the School's staff, faculty, and others. Present and report to various constituent groups periodically.
- All tasks related to the supervision of student employees working on marketing and communications efforts at the School.
- Assist with events and event planning as needed.
- Oversee and successfully manage the communications budget.
- Attend University-wide communications meetings and other committee meetings. Serve as the Josef Korbel School's primary liaison to the Division of Marketing and Communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in marketing, communications, public relations, media relations and/or donor relations.
- Experience in the design, development, and implementation of sophisticated communications, media and marketing strategies.
- Strong writing, communications, design, planning, project management, and webpage management skills.
- Basic budgeting skills.
The schedule is reasonably flexible and requires daytime hours and some evening/weekend availability. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by June 28, 2017. Those who do not apply by June 28, 2017, may or may not be considered. Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions regarding this position, please contact Emily Hinga at , 303-871-2538.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- List of three individuals who can serve as reference.