PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
STUDY OF HEALTH MANAGEMENT
Events Manager Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy Duke Job Code: 1268 Public Relations Spec, Senior
The Events Manager is responsible for planning, financial management and effective execution of events associated with the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy. These include events created in partnership with external sponsors, events intended to enhance the reputation of Duke-Margolis and Duke University, and staff engagement events. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Events Manager also serves as the primary liaison to connect Duke-Margolis media relations and sponsor media relations staff to maximize public outreach as required by sponsors and project directors. This position is based in the Washington, DC office of the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Event Program Planning
• Collaborate with senior staff to build and manage event concepts, goals, and strategies. Ensure that events are aligned with Center strategic communication goals.
• Secure venues and ensure that negotiated contracts for space and services (e.g. catering, audiovisual production, travel and accommodations) meet Duke University requirements. • Manage event preparations timelines including invitations, mailings, registration, RSVPs, day-of materials (agendas, name tags, table tents) and attendee follow up (thank you notes, confirmation of attendance).
• Prepare draft event announcements, bio pages, agendas, and other necessary meeting materials in collaboration with senior staff.
• Ensure that conference materials are submitted, copy-edited and produced in a timely manner, including management of internal and outsourced document production.
• Provide Director of Communications with event dates, schedules and materials.
• Maintain Center-wide events calendar and coordination of availability for senior staff. Serve as Duke-Margolis calendar coordinator for the Duke University and Center web-based calendars. Distribute updated calendar monthlytoall Duke-Margolis members and staff.
• Coordinate with Duke University's Associate Director of Government Relations to receive, coordinate, and respond to requests from Duke University entities to schedule space in the Duke in DC offices. Maintain policies and guidelines for use of space.
• Maintain Duke-Margolis faculty, staff and external speaker database.
• Lead the evaluation of events and develop recommendations to improve future events.
• Develop and execute staff engagement events and activities, e.g. retreats, volunteer days, brown bags, speaker series, holiday events On-site Event Management
• Serve as point person on-site at events to ensure logistical coordination.
• Manage roles and responsibilities of Center staff on-site during events.
• Ensure compliance with Duke University bidding, procurement, and contract processes. • Reconcile event budgets to actual expenses. Ensure that expenses are allocated to sponsored and center accounts, as directed by the COO. Ensure that all sponsor guidelines are met. • Oversee expense reimbursement and purchase order preparation by administrative staff. Ensure timely receipt and accuracy of invoices, oversee processing for prompt payment. • In collaboration with Director of Communications and COO, create and monitor annual events budget including allocation to central and sponsored accounts. Coordination with existing external sponsors and acquisition of new sponsors
• Collaborate with senior staff and external sponsors to ensure that sponsor requirements are met. • Act as event liaison with events and media teams from outside co-sponsors. • Work with project staff to secure external sponsorship, where appropriate, ensure sponsor recognition at event. Ensure that Duke University and sponsor media relations policies and processes are followed to meet Duke-Margolis and sponsor media outreach objectives.
• Manage day-of social media participation (hashtags, webcasts, etc.) • Assist with logistics for media presence at public events including credentialing and sign-in. • Ensure that Duke University bidding and procurement processes are followed.
• Social media, email marketing, etc.
Requirements: Bachelor's degree required. A minimum four years of experience with meeting / conference planning and execution, in a university or a non-profit environment preferred.
Strong preference for experience in the Washington, DC area. CMP preferred.
Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong customer service orientation; excellent public contact skills; resourceful, highly organized, and detail oriented; good problem solving abilities required. Strong negotiating skills. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office. Must have strong understanding of budget management and project management, with demonstrated prior budgetary responsibility. Must be able to function independently, with initiative and little supervision. Needs to be comfortable with multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work in changeable setting, with variable deadlines and responsibilities.
1268 PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires the ability to perform creative writing and relatedactivities such as conducting interviews and research, and copy editingnormally acquired through attainment of a bachelor's degree inJournalism, English or a related discipline.
Work requires two years of directly related writing experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.