Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Full-Time Automotive Instructor.
The auto full-time faculty member will teach automotive classes at on-site or off-site locations on behalf of Southwestern Michigan College. Their primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Teach and develop course materials that align with established curriculum.
• Evaluate curriculum annually to assure continuous improvement.
• Mentor and advise students.
• Provide leadership with adjunct faculty to ensure quality in the classroom.
• Assure instructional outcomes are established for all courses and that they are aligned with the needs of employers and transfer institutions.
• Plan and prepare instructional course materials, equipment, and other student experiences necessary to facilitate high quality instruction.
• Work collaboratively other automotive and Advanced Technology faculty to recruit students.
• Upkeep automotive lab spaces to ensure quality learning environment each semester.
• Work with Chair and Dean to schedule courses and find adjunct instructors when necessary.
• Assist in planning and leading advisory board meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate degree and appropriate Automotive Certifications.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree.
All applicants must demonstrate the ability to promote active and collaborative learning through a variety of teaching methods, as well as relate to students. Excellent organization and communication skills as well as the demonstrated use of instructional technology are required.
• How to instruct a classroom of 40 or more students.
• Assisting in multiple classroom activities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Interest in students and education.
• Emotional ability and maturity.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking in order to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
Posting Number 109
Job Category Faculty
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Maximum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least an earned Associates degree or equivalent college credit?
- Academic Transcripts
- Cover Letter