This position exists to repair and maintain University of Colorado living areas to keep them in a clean, safe and comfortable condition. This position exists to provide journey -level structural trades services for HSD as related to structural trades in the maintenance, repairs and fabrications of any structural trade services. The position is subject to inspections and may direct the work of others.
Who we are:
The vision of the University of Colorado at Boulder is: "To lead in learning, research, teaching, and service to benefit and enhance the quality of life for the people of Colorado."
CU - Boulder's strategic goals are:
- Enhance undergraduate learning and education of students
- Promote excellence in research and graduate education
- Nurture a diverse campus environment
- Lead in the use and study of technology
- Provide broad access to institutional resources and service to the citizens of Colorado
- Provide outstanding student support services
- Provide outstanding administrative support services
- Build on existing excellence
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Organize and implement assigned carpentry maintenance projects by determining the best materials and most efficient methods of construction/repair to reach project completion while meeting code regulations and basic standard structural trade procedures.
- Work on all phases of structural trade's maintenance assignments including glass replacement, restroom stall and shower patricians and accessories repairs, as well as repairs/replacement of floor tiles, carpet tiles, ceiling tiles, doors, windows, walls, chalkboards and other campus structural trades building components.
- Make minor plumbing repairs such as cleaning out drains.
Painting and Drywall Repair
- Paint interior walls, ceilings and exterior covering/siding (use of roller and paintbrushes to apply finishing paint to walls, doors and ceilings).
- Cover and repair of graffiti.
- Repair ceilings or walls by replacing and installing drywall, drop ceiling, grid work and acoustic tile.
- Use hand tools, sandpaper, scrapers, putty knives, and hammer to apply spackle, primer or paint, repair holes, cracks in walls, or ceilings.
Fabrication and Maintenance
- Perform maintenance in living quarters and public areas to enhance residents security, comfort and convenience by repairing, assembling or fabricating and installing cabinetry, furniture, bookcases, countertops, shelving, custom wood trim, chair rail, picture rail and other fine woodworking projects by designing and reading plans or sketches, job lay out, manufacturing of parts, constructing, sanding, gluing and assembling.
- Recreate, restore and repair existing fine woodworking in campus buildings by duplicating and matching existing details.
- Plan reading and construction of walls, installation of sheetrock, insulation, cove base, baseboard, crown mold, doorways, acoustic ceilings and other aspects of structural remodel fabrications.
- Concrete/masonry work.
Structural Component Installation
- Install requested whiteboards, chalkboards, picture / plaque mounting, projection screens, soap dispensers, toilet paper holders, mirrors, weather stripping, blinds, keyboard trays and drawers, cork boards, door replacements, display cases, signage, door hardware and various other requested installations from campus departments.
Fire Life safety/Security Doors and Hardware
- Provide adequate fire protection by inspection, repairing or replacing smoke alarms, smoke detectors, water and chemical fire extinguishers, evaluation instructions exit sings and sprinkler system cover.
- Perform routine check and record system of same.
- Ensure that doors and locks function properly by replacing or repairing doors, locks, lock cylinders, cores, strike plates, lubricating locks, and extracting broken keys.
Dining and Kitchen Maintenance
- Provide proper function of kitchens by minor (replace door seal, lubricate, replace broken knob or handle, etc.) repairs of dining accessories (tables chairs, counters), kitchen equipment, dishwashers, salad bars, and individual resident appliance such as refrigerators, stoves, microwaves and smaller devices.
- Attend required shop/departmental meetings and training sessions.
- Input time-card daily and input work order hours and work orders completed and meet with shop supervisor to ensure the daily schedule is in compliance.
- Maintain the cleanliness of shop and personal areas.
- Direct student and/or temporary workers.
- Instruct how to use hand tools, brushes, rollers, spackle, knives, sandpaper, cover furniture and floors.
What you should know:
This position is designated as essential services. You may need to work scheduled overtime as required by supervisor and/or appointing authority (this position may require working different shifts. Examples may be but not limited to: snow removal, emergency clean-up and event support). The use of a university vehicle is required to perform some of these duties.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $42,672.00. This position may be eligible for a 5% new hire salary increase within 12 months based on performance. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be resourceful. Be proactive. Be challenged. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in structural trades appropriate to the work assignment (including carpentry, electrical, painting and lock-smith work).
What we'd like you to have:
- Previous experience working in a university setting performing structural trade's duties including carpentry, door repairs, lock-smithing, drywall repair and painting while working as a team with other employees and demonstrating a high level of customer service skills.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by June 22nd, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09871.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10391 - Housing-Administration
Posting Date: Jun 15, 2017
Closing Date: Jun 22, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00734608