Full-Time Welding Instructor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Full-Time Welding Instructor.
The welding full-time faculty member will teach welding classes at the Niles Campus. Their primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Prepare and provide all lecture, laboratory and clinical instruction according to the required curriculum
• Follow current course outlines, objectives, and evaluation mechanisms for the program
• Maintain a lesson plan of daily instructional events
• Monitor student attendance and retention and document
• Grading assignments, returning graded assignments to students, and assigning final grades for all students in a timely manner
• Provide educational assistance to students during regularly scheduled times (i.e., office hours) or by appointment
• Advise students as it relates to school policies, satisfactory performance, etc.
• Maintain communication with the Dean or Chair
• Submit in writing current textbook, supply, and equipment needs to the Dean or Chair
• Monitor & maintain all equipment and supply inventory in locked facilities
• Secure consumable supplies as well as educational materials from administrative office when needed
• Maintain professional appearance at all times
• Communicate with Dean on all issues related to students
• Maintain professional expertise (faculty development) to meet accreditation standards by attending educational seminars in professional field, reading current literature, attending online courses, etc.
• Attend all scheduled mandatory meetings set by the cooperate office
• Serve on committees (e.g., curriculum development, retention, etc.) as assigned based upon expertise or campus needs
• Perform other duties as required
• Associate degree in welding and appropriate welding Certifications such as the Certified Welding Educator (CWE) or Certified Welding Inspector (CWI).
• Two years of experience in the welding field.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree.
• Computer experience
All applicants must demonstrate the ability to promote active and collaborative learning through a variety of teaching methods, as well as relate to students. Excellent organization and communication skills as well as the demonstrated use of instructional technology are required.
• How to instruct a classroom of 40 or more students.
• Assisting in multiple classroom activities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Interest in students and education.
• Emotional ability and maturity.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking in order to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
Posting Number 110
Job Category Faculty
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Maximum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least an earned Associates degree or equivalent college credit?
- Academic Transcripts
- Cover Letter