MANAGER, TRAINING NEIDL, Research Compliance, Research Safety (8769/D1217)
The Manager of Training will work with the Associate Director of the Training Simulator Core and the Associate Director of High Containment to develop and implement comprehensive, didactic and hands-on trainings for all operations within NEIDL, including research, animal, facilities and administrative operations who will work within NEIDL and in high containment (BSL3/BSL4) laboratories specifically. The position will assess the training requirement of all individuals working in the high containment facilities, in other NEIDL non-containment laboratories (BSL1/BSL2) and in facilities and administration. This position will work with the Core Directors to determine their proficiency and competency to work under and within the stringent regulations for the NEIDL building. The position will work with the Emergency Management division to develop and implement a comprehensive training program for BU emergency responders and informative sessions with the city’s first responders as requested. The position will work with the Facilities Operations Manager for High Containment to provide ongoing training to the multidisciplinary teams that will perform annual maintenance on high containment spaces. Finally, the position will work with the Research Occupational Health Director to develop and assist implementation of occupational and health related training programs including agent-specific awareness training.
B.A. or B.S. or equivalent required in the fields of Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Microbiology, Biology, or related field and M.S. or equivalent preferred in same disciplines.
3 to 5 years of experience working in an EH&S and includes experience in developing and implementing training programs and knowledge of adult education and learning principles.
Employment is contingent on initial and continued successful background checks as determined by Boston University and applicable external agencies and meeting all applicable elements of Research Occupational Health Programs and Personnel Suitability & Reliability Program (includes initial and random drug screening) throughout the period of employment. Please note: the standards of background checks, etc. may change at any time should there be amendments to applicable laws or policies relevant to Boston University and the NEIDL.
This position must pass a security risk assessment performed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation/Criminal Justice Information Service as a requirement for Select Agent Program participation. Be fully positive pressure suit-trained to enter and provide services in a BSL4 laboratory workplace.
The National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is part of a national network of secure facilities that study infectious diseases – whether they occur naturally or are introduced deliberately through bioterrorism. The NEIDL is dedicated to the development of diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics to combat emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. In addition to Bio Safety Level (BSL)-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, the NEIDL houses BSL-4 laboratories that will operate at the highest level of containment. The NEIDL will add to the growing life sciences industry in the region, throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and across the country.
Individuals seeking affiliation with or employment within the NEIDL may be subject to the following suitability requirements. Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in ineligibility for employment or affiliation:
- Criminal Background Check:To be completed in accordance with BU Public Safety guidelines and all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Basic Background Check:Includes, but is not limited to, verification of:
+ Social Security Number;
+ Academic credentials;
+ Past employment;
+ Licenses and credentials;
+ Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI) check;
+ Credit history check;
+ RMV/DMV driving record, if required.
- Medical Clearance Process:includes Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP) evaluation, drug screening, initial psychological screening, and immunization/titer level review completed in accordance with NEIDL Medical Surveillance Policy for all employees working at the NEIDL.
- Training and Education:to be completed in accordance with Section 8, Ongoing Personnel Reliability Program, for all employees working at the NEIDL.
Individuals seeking or required to have approval to work with Select Agents will be subject to the following additional requirements:
- Department of Justice Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting:To be completed in accordance with CDC requirements as part of application to have access to Select Agents.
- Select Agent Use Approval:to be completed in accordance with all regulations including the requirements of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Please note, any individual working in the NEIDL facility and granted unescorted access, is subject to
- periodic background reviews, including but not limited to: criminal background, credit history, drug screening, and behavioral evaluations;
- periodic checks and regular renewals of security credentials, any applicable licenses, and verification of the successful completion of any required training at the facility
- Search of person, clothing and effects prior to entry into or egress from NEIDL
When applicable, individuals will be required to maintain all applicable clearances and licenses and to disclose any changes in circumstances that could compromise access to the facility.
Continued employment/ affiliation is contingent upon strict adherence, at all times, to all applicable safety and security rules, procedures, and protocols, as well as required training regimens.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.