Life Science Research Professional
Life Science Research Professional
Job Number: 75282
The Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation and Cancer Biology at Stanford University is seeking a highly motivated Life Science Research Professional 1 to join the Giaccia Lab and our team of researchers who are dedicated to studying the effects of novel radioprotectors on normal tissue radiation-induced toxicity. In addition to conducting experiments, the LSRP will perform specific tasks to facilitate the daily operation of the laboratory, including ordering supplies, assuring laboratory compliance with government and university guidelines, and maintaining certain mouse stocks.
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory. Interpret and perform basic analyses of results.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with graduate post-doctoral individuals.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
Bachelor's in Biology and Human Biology. Strongly motivated, Strong analytical skills and excellent scientific judgement, ability to work independently and as a team player, good communication skills, written and verbally.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.