Senior Director - Public Relations
Senior Director - Public Relations
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
As Utah's largest and fastest-growing university with more than 35,000 students, Utah Valley University is seeking a highly skilled, accomplished public relations professional for the position of Senior Director of Public Relations. This position will creatively lead the communication strategy, oversee all aspects of internal and external communication, guide executive communication, and lead and develop an innovative, talented team of communication experts. Located at the base of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, UVU's state-of-the-art facilities, robust benefits package, and unique dual mission complement Utah's national accolades for economic development, creativity, and lifestyle.
The Senior Director of Public Relations will be responsible for overseeing the development and execution of communication programs across all facets of public relations including positioning, narrative development, major earned media programs, issues management, crisis communications, influence marketing and building great brand experiences on and off line. The individual will also architect and guide engagements, establish budget, timeline and quality standards, and build strong trusting relationships with colleagues and across the broader university community.
The ideal candidate has a deep passion for higher education, thinks creatively and differently about audience engagement and storytelling, and operates with agility, speed, and commitment to achieving clients' goals.
The chosen candidate must possess a thorough understanding of how to design and implement public relations campaigns, have strong public communications experience being a spokesperson for an organization; a proven track record leading external communications campaigns, and experience working directly with executives to shape messaging and strategies. Fluency in social media and brand marketing trends, and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external audiences is required. Ambition, poise, and collegiality are greatly desired.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a master’s degree in a directly related field, plus four years of experience related to the Summary of Duties of the position or Bachelor’s degree in a directly related field, plus six years related to the Summary of Duties of the position or any combination of higher education and/or experience totaling ten years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent presenter and persuasive speaker.
- Knowledge and experience in managing budgets and personnel—holding them accountable for performance while maintaining a positive and healthy work environment.
- Knowledge of and experience using social media management platforms that monitor, analyze and report in real-time.
- Demonstrates an understanding of research techniques including analysis of media coverage and online conversation (volume and tone), and identification and categorization of various stakeholders.
- Knowledge of driving client meetings, creative brainstorms, and team development.
- Skills and experience as a media spokesperson.
- Stellar writer who generates creative content and is attentive to detail.
- Skills and expertise in mobilizing and motivating teams.
- Skills in exceptional judgment when working with team members, contacts, and vendors
- Skills with crisis communication and issues management.
- Self-motivated, fun, entrepreneurial, and curious.
- Proven ability to develop and manage complex projects with multiple work streams across multiple platforms.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, communication skills, commitment to diversity and consensus building success.
- Ability to turn ideas into workable plans.
- Ability to anticipate client and team needs.
- Creative problem-solving abilities and cross-functional team management experience.
- Hands-on leader who can inspire and manage the team to do award-winning work and able to write and present well to clients.
Master’s degree preferred.
A minimum of 6 years of PR agency and integrated team management experience or equivalent experience in in-house/client side roles.
General working hours M-F 8 am - 5pm.
Some nights and weekends possible.
Occasionally will need to attend special events.
Be on-call for crisis communication situations.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience
Advertisement Number: ST05417
Open Date: 06/14/2017
Review Start Date: 06/21/2017
Close Date: 7/16/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/1307
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.