For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
- Responsible for classification and compensation including reclassification and reorganization, and currency of job descriptions.
- Provide guidance to employees and supervisors in resolving conflicts and promote effective working relationships. Assist employees in responding to disciplinary or performance counseling; advise supervisors when considering employment action for performance issues.
- Coordinate with the Human Resources Specialist to manage, evaluate, analyze, and maintain the institution's Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and other products used to support Employee Services functions (recruiting, hiring, employment, separation, leaves of absence, performance review, compensation management, and payroll).
- Interpret college policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements and applicable statutes and regulations.
- Assist with development, initiation, maintenance and revision of policies and procedures for general compliance operations.
- Identify approaches for effective supervision, performance management and corrective action. Oversee the annual performance appraisal process.
- Listen, counsel, advise and document interviews/discussions with administrators, supervisors and staff.
- Research and compile data for pre-disciplinary meetings and grievances, attend meetings as requested, and provide recommendations as appropriate.
- Participate in resolving questions about staff agreement.
- Coordinate special HR related projects as assigned. Includes research, assessment, analysis of data and reporting as required.
- Research, write, recommend and/or evaluate, as requested, existing and/or contemplated personnel policies and practices.
- Collaborate with Benefits Specialist as necessary, related to appropriate employee relations.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with PHR certification required or Master's degree with PHR certification preferred.
- Three years of human resources experience and two years of supervisory experience required.
- Ability to use a keyboard to enter, retrieve and manipulate data into a computer. Familiarity with internet search capabilities is required.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to write and present educational programs and to make presentations to large groups. Incumbent must be able to give and receive advice and opinions and interact with individuals in situations requiring sensitivity and tact.
- One or more years of training experience preferred.
- Higher education experience preferred.
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with students, faculty, administration, and staff.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm. Some nights and weekends based om college needs.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.