Executive Director, Security and Emergency Management
The Executive Director of Security and Emergency Management (EDSEM) is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, managing, and directing public safety, and emergency management functions of Elmhurst College. With a particular emphasis on customer service, the EDSEM is also responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for all students, faculty, staff, visitors, and assets at the College; ensuring the department plays a critical role in emergency preparedness and response; and enforcing all state and local laws and regulations.
• Leads and manages the College public safety function, which is a 24/7/365 operation.
• Represents Elmhurst College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service.
• Ensures adherence to Federal and State campus security and crime reporting law, and serves as the College’s Clery Compliance Officer.
• Promotes student-focused security and safety programs and thoughtful interventions which cultivate campus community safety and student development, ultimately encouraging student success.
• Fosters excellent working relationships with students, faculty, staff and external customers/constituents.
• Develops and implements comprehensive public safety programs, policies, and procedures.
• Manages and administers the departmental budget.
• Continuously improves the department services to meet or exceed internal and external customer expectations.
• Mentors and develops department staff to promote exceptional performance and career progression.
• Provides risk management guidance to senior leadership on matters which may pose a risk to student safety, safety of other members of the campus community and guests, or which may expose the College to liability.
• Responsible for the management and oversight of all security systems, including electronic access control, physical key systems, alarm and video security systems.
• Develops, coordinates and implements a comprehensive emergency management plan, coordinated with local authorities, to ensure appropriate response to the full spectrum of potential incidents and emergencies on campus.
• Serves on or chairs various College teams and committees, including the Campus Emergency Action Team (CEAT), Threat Assessment Team, Crisis Response Team, and others as appropriate.
• Maintains on-call status for major incidents and emergencies.
• Manages campus and remote parking locations and traffic control.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• BA/BS in a relevant discipline, with a Master’s degree strongly preferred.
• Relevant professional certification (CPP, Police Officer, etc.).
• Minimum of 3 years experience in a director or comparable leadership role in a security department, with strong preference given to those with experience in the higher education arena.
• Demonstrated knowledge of legislative mandates, practices, policies and procedure impacting campus security and safety, including the Clery Act, Title IX, FERPA and others.
• Membership and involvement in relevant professional associations.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to communicate with the numerous constituencies of the College.
• Ability to pass a criminal background screening process.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record which meets the standards for use of College vehicles.
• Ability to build relationships quickly across different departments.
• A calm and steady approach to management and leadership.
• A commitment to students and their personal development.
• The ability to effectively foster change within complex organizations.
• A strong track record of forging effective and enduring collaborations with a wide variety of constituencies.