Disaster Program Manager
Responsible for the implementation of the disaster services program in an assigned geographic territory. The territory is based on the regional configuration. Leads and manages a primarily volunteer team Operates as a part of the Disaster Management Cycle processes. Responsible for local preparation, response and recovery management as well as management of government partnerships with assigned territory. Drivers for this work include the number of municipalities within its coverage area, the amount and complexity of program activity, presence of significant grant funding, geography, risk, population, frequency of events, and regional structure. responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response,and recovery programs in the local area. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
Operates as a part of the Disaster Management Cycle processes. Responsible for local preparation, response and recovery management as well as management of government partnerships with assigned territory. Drivers for this work include the number of municipalities within its coverage area, the amount and complexity of program activity, presence of significant grant funding, geography, risk, population, frequency of events, and regional structure.
Performs these functions according to the guidance provided by the Regional Disaster and Program Officer; team leadership is provided by the RDPO. This position reports directly to the Senior DPO or the RDPO; and may have a dotted line to Community Exec (s) in the territory they cover. This position may have dotted line supervision to program support functions within the Region and/or may also serve as a program support funcation lead within the Region.
This position works closely with, is supported by and receives technical guidance from program support functions at the regional level
1. Act in a facilitative leader role across the disaster cycle: the Red Cross will align with government and work to enable the entire community to participate in all phases of the disaster cycle by shifting from being not only a provider of direct services but also a facilitative leader.
2. Within scope of position, represents the entire disaster cyle of preparedness, response and recovery.
3. Ensures that American Red Cross services are available to diverse communities.
4. Mobilizes the local community to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies. Meets the needs and expectations of clients and stakeholders. Develops human and material resources (volunteers, partners, community agencies, shelter and vendor agreements etc) to ensure the full cycle of disaster services is delivered.
5. Manages local responses by the deployment volunteers on a daily basis in a rapid and accessible manner. Serves during times of disaster as the operational leadership for the territory/local level; Participates in a leadership role on larger operations regionally, division or nationwide.
6. Leads and manages a primarily volunteer team responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response,and recovery programs in the local area. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
7. Program delivery: Accountable for the implementation of the disaster services program in a territory in alignment with established metrics
8. In conjunction with program support functions in a region participates in local planning, exercises and training, including exercises called by local partners (VOADs, EMAs and LEPCs).
9. Serves as the Red Cross thought leader on a local level with government and other agencies and organizations involved in disaster. Ensures interface with community leaders, corporations, businesses and government agencies.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years experience with social services or service/program delivery. Demonstrated experience in coordinating staff and volunteer activities. Ability to interpret program trends, results, and related data to formulate recommendations. Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Management Experience: Minimum of 1-3 years staff supervisory experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Develops project plans & budgets. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of program or service. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decisionmaking skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, marketing, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires ability for planning, public speaking, project management and process improvement. Individual must be customer oriented, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with an external focus, and team orientation.
Other:Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiarity with federal, state, and local employment laws. Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under "grey sky" requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity. All full time disaster employees must be willing and able to be deployed, as needed.
Travel: May involve travel.
Other Requirements: Upon employment, must be able to learn and become proficient in:
- ARC programs and procedures
- Volunteer Management
- Financial Management
- Cultural Competency
- Emergency Management Practices
- Supply chain and warehousing D
- Disaster technical expertise
Job Type:This position can be filled by an employee or a volunteer
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions:Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster. Should this occur, salary compensation would be given in accordance with the law.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:32:54 PDT