Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (Queens College)
Often referred to as "the jewel of the CUNY system," Queens College is a place of contrasts: An urban school in a suburban setting, where a large and diverse student body receives personalized attention. This formula has made us one of New York's premier educational institutions.
With a mission to prepare students to become leading citizens of an increasingly global society, we offer a rigorous education in the liberal arts and sciences under the guidance of a faculty dedicated to both teaching and research. Our liberal arts, science, and pre-professional programs earn us high rankings in prestigious college guides such as The Princeton Review America's Best Value Colleges. Our students graduate with the ability to think critically, address complex problems, explore various cultures, use modern technologies and information resources, and have won prominence in nearly every field.
In support of the campus mission, strategic plans and values, the Environmental Health and Safety Department seeks to fill a Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator vacancy.
Under the supervision of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the College's Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator provides administrative support with environmental and occupational health and safety compliance. The successful candidate shall be responsible for investigating applicable laws and regulations and for participating in the planning and implementation of appropriate control measures needed for compliance. In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the successful the candidate will be responsible for:
- The coordination of a central chemical receiving processes;
- Maintenance of a computerized chemical inventory system;
- Assist with the development, organization and facilitation health and safety training (i.e. Hazard Communication, Laboratory Safety, etc.);
- Supports site safety and health audits to monitor EHS program compliance;
- Assist with developing compliance strategies and programs for applicable federal, state, and local EHS regulations;
- Coordinates the acceptance, transfer and processing of regulated wastes;
- Member of the Queens College "Emergency Response Team"
Bachelor's Degree required.
Baccalaureate degree in environmental health and safety, industrial hygiene, or life sciences.2 years related experience.
FDNY Certificate of Fitness for Supervising Non-Production Chemical Laboratories (C-14); evidence of specific college level coursework in the health and safety area; 40 hour HAZWOPER certification, 8 hour RCRA certification; working knowledge of MS Office products such as Word and Excel; ability to develop reports and spreadsheets, Strong oral and written communication skills.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides efficient and professional service in support of an environmentally health and safe campus.
- Assists management in preparing reports of activities, inventories, incidents, environmental monitoring, and related matters
- Coordinates waste disposal programs by communicating with faculty and staff, organizing collection and contacting appropriate disposal vendors.
- Assists in delivering various training programs and in maintaining bulletins, web site, and other communications.
- May assist with routine inspections of laboratories, storage rooms, and work stations; may coordinate passive monitoring programs
- Coordinates purchases, manages inventory, and provides for maintenance of specialized department equipment
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $39,282 - $55,837; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number (16934)
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Please note that candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you upload, for example, JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system
July 13, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queens College
Job Title: Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (Queens College)
Job ID: 16934
Full/Part Time: Full-Time