Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising in Columbian College is involved in academic advising and academic administration. S/he will work closely with the CCAS Director of Undergraduate Advising to monitor students' academic records, academic policies, study abroad programs, transfer credit articulation, academic standing (including semester warning, probation, suspension and the Dean's List), degree programs and graduation clearance. Assistant Directors will supervise/direct the work activities of 4-5 Academic Advisors. S/he may also be involved in training, professional development and other activities for the CCAS Undergraduate Studies Academic Advising Office.
• Assists the Director of Undergraduate Advising in developing and managing an effective and innovative advising program at the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.
• Provides direct developmental supervision to a subset (4-5) of Undergraduate Academic Advisors and assists in their training.
• Advises a reduced caseload of CCAS undergraduate students and maintains appropriate student records.
• Communicates with student and alumni groups as needed to provide and exchange information, enlist cooperation and implement policies and programs.
• Designs and delivers training related to academic advising and academic policies and prepares reports analyzing the advising program.
• Provides oversight for office events, programming, and high-level administrative processes, including orientation, CARE network case management, and registration activities.
• Fosters and maintains cross-campus relationships and initiatives with our faculty, student affairs, and external partners. This includes acting as departmental liaisons or representing CCAS Advising on various campus committees and working groups.
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 6 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have 6 years of experience in academic advising or academic affairs. The candidate must work well in a collegial setting, enjoy teamwork, and be able to take on managerial duties. Experience with Banner, CRMs, Data warehouse, DegreeWorks, Courseleaf and other student systems is preferred. Must possess excellent communication and customer service skills, have strong attention to detail and deadlines and be able to successfully manage multiple priorities.
Master's degree in higher education or relevant field preferred.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Student Affairs Sub-Family Academic Advising Stream Management Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday -Friday 8:30- 5:30 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006409 Job Open Date: 06/14/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter