Instructional Associate, #S03613
$23.26 - $31.48 per hour
Online applications must be received by June 21, 2017
Montgomery College, Rockville Campus, Writing, Reading, and Language Center has need for a full-time Instructional Associate #S03613. Work schedule is generally Monday - Tuesday 11:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m.; Wednesday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., with some Saturday coverage possible, 9:30- 3:00.
This position provides instructional support services in writing and reading to students in all disciplines. The Instructional Associate assists students in utilizing learning software and other resource materials. Position will provide instructional assistance to students in writing, reading and English as a Second Language through one-on-one tutoring sessions. Tutoring sessions are generally 30-45 minutes in length and held on a drop-in and walk-in basis; online tutoring will be required.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Tutoring students one-on-one in writing and reading across the disciplines
- Collaborate with Center Director to develop workshops that support effective writing and reading strategies
- Leading workshops on various writing and reading topics
- Designing writing and reading related material for students
- Researching and staying up-to-date on tutoring pedagogy
- Bachelor's degree in English, Composition/Rhetoric, Linguistics, TESOL, Reading, or closely related field
- Three years of experience tutoring in an academic support center and demonstrating writing concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of the writing and reading processes and a clear understanding of English language grammar.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning theory and language learning theory.
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with instructional technology;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word and Power point) to create instructional support materials and make presentations.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Master's degree or higher in English, Composition/Rhetoric, Linguistics, TESOL, Reading, or closely related field
- Ability to conduct research to develop presentations and instructional support materials for adult learners
- Experience developing and executing academic support or tutoring programs;
- Experience developing and presenting academic workshops;
- Experience tutoring in a college or university writing center;
- Experience supporting underprepared students and an understanding of and commitment to the community college mission;
- Evidence of ongoing professional development.
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by June 21, 2017
- To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Attach a letter of interest and resume or CV to your application. Your letter should specifically address your interest in working at Montgomery College, including how you meet the listed minimum, and any of the appropriate preferred qualifications.
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Academic Support & Libraries
Primary Location US-MD-Rockville
Organization VP & Provost - RV
Job Posting Jun 5, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
Unposting Date Jun 20, 2017, 10:59:00 PM