Required Qualifications: As per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. High School Diploma/GED. One year of experience in dental assisting OR graduation from an accredited program in dental assisting.
Preferred Qualifications: Two or more years experience in dental assisting. Bi-lingual in Spanish.
Brief Description for Duties: This position will be working at the Dental Care Center with duties to include the following:
- Assist during the examination treatment, screening, and emergency care of patients.
- Prepare the necessary instrument set-ups for the procedures to be done.
- Mix cement, amalgam, or composite filling materials & impression material.
- Clean up the dental operatory after patient visits.
- In conjunction with designated faculty, work with dental students in their training in the use of dental auxiliaries in the delivery of dental care (i.e. four-handed dentistry), consisting of sitting at a chair, twisting, leaning across the patient.
- Work in the supply and dispensing rooms issuing material to students and faculty, and keep associated records. Dispense supplies consists of carrying instrument trays and equipment (such as cavitrons, composite lights, electrosurges etc...) from storage cabinets to counter.
- Assist with inventory control of dental supplies. Also include unloading the supplies delivered off a cart, taken out of boxes and put away in high and low cabinets and shelves. This involves lifting and bending while carrying the stock.
- Assist with maintaining the Dental Care Center and dental equipment in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Take and develop X-ray films.
- Maintain patient records of appointments and insurance records, answer telephones, make appointments.
- Sterilize equipment and instruments. Sort and identify instruments
- Attend training and development courses to include CPR, Infection Control, Right to know.
- Other duties as assigned.
Patient Contact: Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook University's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), clear a background investigation, submit (3) written reference, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the five Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 160 pediatric specialists, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Official Job Title: Dental Assistant
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Dental Care Center-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pmDental Care Center-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Jun 14, 2017
Posting End Date: Jun 28, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG8