University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant/Registered Nurse
The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes at the University of Colorado Denver is a multi-disciplinary diabetes center affiliated with the University of Colorado, School of Medicine. The patient population spans the ages 1 to 70 years with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. This is a part-time to full-time (32-40 hours per week) Professional Research Assistant-RN position at the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes for a NIH funded multi-site clinical trial (TrialNet). This position involves coordinating and running clinical trials in type 1 diabetes.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This position works Monday-Friday and occasional weekends based on the research subject schedule. This is a position requiring an enthusiasm for medical research and knowledge or interest in diabetes. The candidate will be self-directed and independent with good organizational skills. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are also required. This position reports to the Clinical Research Manager (Carrie Brill) and the Investigators: Peter Gottlieb, M.D. and Andrea Steck, M.D. This position requires a collaborative relationship with Co-Investigators and the research study team.
Supervision of others is required in this position. This will include professional research assistants and student workers as needed.
- Work on NIH and Industry sponsored clinical trials in type 1 diabetes.
- Identify, recruit, and enroll patients for clinical studies, educating them on the details of participation and on factors related to diabetes.
- Responsible for the daily requirements and overall management of specific clinical research protocols while monitoring the safety and well-being of all study participants.
- Conduct study visits, including participant interviews, phlebotomy, IV placement and data collection.
- Data entry, organization and management of research files and supplies.
- Administration of IV medicines via infusion pump or IM and SQ injections.
- Monitoring of vital signs and recognizing clinically significant abnormalities.
- Sample processing and shipment.
- Comply with all institutional policies and clinical trial regulations, including IRB, FDA documents and correspondence.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all protocols being carried out.
- Composing patient letters and conducting patient phone calls.
- Facilitate study related travel and visits for patients that live out of state.
- Participate in study meetings and trainings as required.
- Willing and able to travel on occasion.
- Coordinate payment of study expenses, such as medical service fees, IRB fees and study subject payments.
- Work collaboratively and help with periodic cross-coverage of other PRA staff.
Salary and Benefits:
Full time annual starting salary begins at: $55,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado Denver offers a full benefits package for faculty. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located on the www.ucdenver.edu website.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelors of Sciences degree in Nursing and current Colorado RN license.
- Current BLS certification
- Experience with IVs (both adult and pediatric)
- Clinical diabetes experience and CDE certification preferred.
- Minimum 1-year work experience in a clinical research setting preferred.
- Experience working with physicians desirable.
- Experience and knowledge of working with regulatory aspects of clinical trials a plus.
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires good interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated ability to work under pressure, the ability to multitask and the willingness to learn and comply with relevant laws, rules, regulations and policies.
- Familiarity with FDA, OHRP, GCP, International Council for Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Pharmaceuticals (ICH), and HIPAA regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with IRB policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organization skills, and ability to problem solve and multi-task.
- Knowledge of the academic center regulatory and clinical processes as related to clinical trials.
- Must be able to work under pressure in a deadline oriented environment.
- Experience working with physicians and nurses in clinical research.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at CU Careers . Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified.
Questions should be directed to Talisha Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9915
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Jun 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Talisha Bell
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00734772