*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pathology
Histotechnologist (Health Care Senior Professional)
Position #734415 - Requisition 09927
The Department of Pathology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Histotechnologist (Health Care Senior Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Histotechnologist is responsible for processing all specimens received in the Histology Laboratory under minimal supervision. This position requires independent judgment in the selection of methodologies utilized in processing tissue specimens and in solving routine problems. This position will contribute to the overall efficiency of the laboratory and/or pathology practice in a cost effective manner by performing a variety of tasks, consisting primarily of preparing and processing of all surgical pathology specimens in preparation for pathologist review and diagnosis. This role will also receive all histology specimens and processes them using various methodologies, complex machinery and staining systems. The Histotechnologist will then prepare the slides for Pathologist review by cutting prepared blocks of tissue utilizing complex machinery. This role is responsible for appropriately staining the slides whether with routine, special or immunohistochemical stains, and labeling, entering and tracking the progress of the specimen until it reaches the Pathologist for diagnosis. This is extremely important in overall patient care, since inappropriate processing, lost specimens or incorrectly labeled specimens can result in incorrect or unavailable diagnoses which can cause repeat procedures or life threatening treatment choices. This role must be familiar with all laboratory policies and procedures. The position is also responsible for the maintenance of the histology area by maintaining inventory and supplies, cleaning and organizing of work stations, disposal of biological waste, adherence to all compliance and operational procedures.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Determines appropriate handling and tissue processing for specimens, and priorities on requested procedures.
- Utilizes appropriate equipment with precision for all histological protocols.
- Performs complex staining techniques and demonstrates competency with immunohistochemical procedures to include in situ hybridization reactions.
- Performs computer data entry, recall, and labeling on complex pathology network (LIS).
- Performs routine preventative maintenance, cleaning, and minor adjustments on all lab equipment.
- Position will require lifting large boxes, specimens, and containers containing formalin.
- Prepares and examines solutions for contamination, impurities, or instability.
- Follows procedures on all lab tests.
- Examines microscopically all stained slides and controls to determine accuracy of the last test and makes modifications to the procedures as needed.
- Retrieves and stores specimens properly for long term storage.
- Assists in maintaining accreditation standards, to include all check sheets and quality control information sheets.
- Maintains archived Histological slides and blocks.
- Performs all procedures in a timely manner.
- Solves specimen related issues such as: (1) figures out where a specimen is located if it arrives without paperwork, and vice versa; (2) calls/pages certain departments about issues concerning a specimen (ex: incomplete paperwork); (3) determine the process to fix or replace broken laboratory equipment (ex. place a facilities request, etc.); and (4) follows appropriate protocol for any chemical spill.
- Answers laboratory phone properly and takes information correctly.
- Assists in the ordering of laboratory supplies in order to maintain proper inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Completes all UCD required training and compliance courses.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in a biological, health or social science and formal histotechnology training in an accredited program. OR Bachelor's degree in a biological, health or social science and two (2) years of internal on-the-job training, in closely related position.
Substitution: Relevant work experience appropriate to the assignment may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
Condition of Employment:
- Must possess a valid ASCP certification OR be eligible, willing and able to become certified within one year of employment. Failure to become certified within one year of employment, may be cause for termination.
Must be willing and able to:
- Lift/push/pull up to 50 lbs.
- Be exposed to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Wear safety equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, aprons, lab coat, etc. when working with wet tissues, performing special stains, and handling chemicals.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Experience working an academic medical environment.
- Two (2) or more years of professional experience working as a histologist.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable of all lab procedures and specimen submission requirements.
- Understands and uses proper safety practices.
- Basic computer skills in data entry, MS word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, file correctly by alphabetical and numerical order, attention to detail, and to follow precisely written procedural instructions.
- Basic medical terminology is necessary.
- Ability to listen and follow precise protocols is required.
- Must be familiar with basic human anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in teaching, communication and working well with others is desired.
- Ability to make decisions regarding the processing of specimens, including assessing the quality of slides and stains for Pathologist review.
- Ability to recognize discrepant information as it applies to specimen receipt and decide on a course of action - i.e. contacting the office, clinician, administrative assistance, or Lead Histotechnologist.
- Ability to make tissue processing decisions in the course of a power outage or mechanical breakdown of equipment.
- Ability to make decisions about who and when to call in the event of mechanical malfunction or maintenance.
- Must also be able to troubleshoot tissue processing and tissue staining irregularities.
- Must be aware of procedure and protocol requirements and if specimens are unable to be processed in a timely manner, they must make the Lead Histolotechnologist aware to advise the affected clinicians.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions on what procedures and protocols to use for all specimens received and who to consult when this is not clear.
- Great attention to detail is needed as specimens arrive constantly and cannot be mixed up, misplaced, or un-necessarily delayed.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Matt Bilby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Jun 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Matt Bilby
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00734415