Director of Development, Natural Sciences
Who we are:
The Office of Advancement at the University of Colorado offers talented fundraising executives, alumni engagement, development officers and support staff an incredible opportunity to do meaningful work at one of the nation's top public research universities.
We are a team of about 125 with a passion for inspiring donors to discover what matters to them. We catalyze world changing initiatives at CU Boulder and work closely with the other three CU campuses, a central university system and the CU Foundation to collectively promote the university's long-term sustainability and success. The advancement group in the College of Arts & Sciences includes about 20 of these professionals. Their collective work raises vital support for the flagship campus' largest school and the intellectual core of the university that comprises more than 60 fields.
The Office of Advancement at CU Boulder has an opportunity for a skilled Director of Development. This position designs, directs, and implements development activities within the Natural Sciences division of the College of Arts & Sciences to increase engagement and support for the University, working most closely with academic partners in environmental-related departments and other possible disciplines. Regional areas covered include the state of Colorado, the Southwest and Mid-Atlantic. This position plans and carries out the institution's program of soliciting major gifts of $100,000K and above.
Where We Work
Set in the foothills of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, CU Boulder is building a vision for Advancement that will support and propel the University to great achievements in research, education and innovation.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Works to cultivate existing and new donor (individual, corporate, and foundation) relationships with the intent of sustaining and increasing the relationship with the donor.
- Manages portfolio consisting of a minimum of 60 prospects. Goals relating to personal contacts, number of proposed gifts, grants, and prospect identification to be set with and approved by management. Goals for number of planned giving donations will be established with management.
- Develops and manages portfolios of individual, corporate and foundation prospects capable of making significant gifts in order to secure major gift commitments (at least $100K). Plans and implements programs that include measurable targets for each fiscal year (e.g., personal visits, stewardship activities, solicitations).
- Works closely with University of Colorado (CU) faculty (may work directly with dean of school or college); and works directly with volunteers and advisory boards as needed to develop and implement fundraising strategies in order to meet established goals and objectives. Facilitates productive relationships daily between donors and CU administrators, faculty and staff to ensure effectiveness of programs.
- Works to ensure timely, accurate completion of proposals, pledges and fund agreements. Documents prospect strategies and contact reports, evaluates new prospects and generates stewardship reports and general correspondence daily to cultivate major gift prospects.
- Represents the Office of Advancement at University events in order to support the University and cultivate donors.
What we can offer:
Competitive salary, commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be inspired. Be innovative. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 5 years of top level, successful fundraising experience required.
- Demonstrated success in raising gifts over $100,000.00.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), donor tracking software (BSR helpful).
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience in fundraising for higher education.
- An advanced degree in a related field.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by July 9, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09889.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11007 - UCB Development Administration
Posting Date: Jun 29, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 9, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00001215