Medium Voltage Systems Technician
Facilities Management at CU Boulder is seeking a Technician in Utility Maintenance, Medium Voltage Electrical Systems to join their team. This position performs highly skilled technical work to operate, maintain, inspect, adjust, calibrate, and repair the CU 15 kV electrical distribution system. Work will include preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance of sophisticated electronic control systems for generation.
This position requires an individual who is thoroughly knowledgeable in the use of sophisticated electronic testing equipment and computers, which are used for the testing and maintenance of high voltage transformers, relays, meters, and circuit breakers. The position is expected to work independently with little direct supervision.
Who we are:
Facilities Management (FM) is responsible for the overall physical development, maintenance and operation of the campus. The mission of the department is to provide a safe physical environment that promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge. We offer competitive wages, flex schedules, health insurance, paid vacation time, sick time, and holidays. Facilities Management provides a challenging and dynamic work environment that is focused on our customers and our employees.
The Utility & Energy Services Group is responsible for the safe, reliable, and efficient production and distribution of steam, chilled water, domestic water, stormwater, sewer, and electricity at the University of Colorado Boulder.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Diagnose, calibrate, read, repair, install, and modify utility instrumentation, metering, and electrical distribution systems
- Perform power quality analysis and calibrate equipment according to specified standards
- Conduct tests, commissions, and inspect all installed electrical distribution and metering equipment for proper operation, balance, sequence of operations and assembly of components and ensures compliance CU Standards, codes, manufacturer's handbook schematics, project specifications, as-built drawings, diagrams and blue prints
- Assist in the overhaul of gas and steam turbine generators, boilers, and centrifugal chillers, pumps, motors, and other equipment
- Maintain documentation of all repair, calibrations, control points, and alarm and trip points of each piece of equipment
- Prepare schematic drawings, point-to-point diagrams, control loops, sketches and reports to indicate changes or adjustments made to the electrical distribution system
- Perform preventive maintenance of electrical control and monitoring systems of distribution system components to include 15kV switching, disassembling, cleaning, repairing and/or replacing, reassembling and calibrating
- Perform preventive maintenance of electrical systems and components of the cogeneration facility which includes a steam turbine generator, two combustion turbine generators and auxiliary equipment ranging in voltages from 24V to 13.2kV
What you should know:
This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures. This is shift work and requires working evenings, weekends, holidays and high-volume overtime schedules.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position starts at $60,000.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be challenged. Be impactful. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- High school graduation or GED.
- Three years of experience in maintaining, repairing, preventative maintenance, installing, modifying, and calibrating medium voltage equipment in an industrial, chemical, or utility plant.
- Plus two years technical experience in underground medium voltage (greater than 600V) systems and the maintenance of 15KV equipment such as transformers, switches, and circuit breakers.
What you will need:
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Customer service focus.
- Problem Solving and ability to think independently.
- Team-oriented attitude.
- Use of Microsoft software product such as Excel, Access, Outlook.
- Experience with scheduling and equipment outages.
What we'd like you to have:
- Emphasis in electrical distribution systems.
- Thorough knowledge of utility distribution system safety and environmental compliance requirements.
- Training from a military, accredited institution, or graduation from an apprenticeship program on boilers, turbines, steam, energy, power, heat transfer and power plant instrumentation, control and monitoring systems.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by June 28, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09929.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Engineering and Architecture/Physical Science and Engineering
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Jun 14, 2017
Closing Date: Jun 28, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campu s Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00734151