Academic Coaching Position Part-time
The Academic Coach will be assigned a caseload of students who they will provide comprehensive and intrusive advisement for throughout the academic year. The Academic Coach will be responsible to ensure that their assigned caseload receives guidance during the semester regarding curriculum planning and will also utilize Starfish to provide any needed intervention. The Academic Coach will assist all students in academic planning related to the students' abilities and chosen major/ career. The coach will also convey and interpret DCC's rules and regulations, academic prerequisites, programs, majors and courses of study. The Academic Coach will assist students to define and develop realistic educational and career plans. To do so the Academic Coach will provide curriculum planning for students to include registration of summer/winter coursework (if appropriate) to ensure each student has an up-to-date academic plan through graduation. The Academic Coach will play an integral part in the College's efforts towards student success, retention and graduation. The Academic Coach will advocate for student educational achievement to the highest attainable standard, support student goals, and uphold the educational mission of the college. The coach will proactively contact and be available for student advisees on a regular basis. The Academic Coach will work up to 25 hours weekly.
Coaching Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clarify personal and occupational interests, abilities, and goals for the student's educational plan.
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Become knowledgeable of SUNY seamless transfer pathways and articulation agreements.
- Recognize and respect students' diverse backgrounds and possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain student records and organize resource materials pertinent to each student's needs.
- Manage technology needed to support advising programs, including but not limited to Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Provide graduation planning including completion of Degree Works audit and graduation application.
- Maintain consistent advisement of designated major-based caseload.
- Utilize Starfish to assist with caseload management, including providing student outreach based on tracking items and weekly reports.
- Participate in prospective student and first year programs including orientation, introductory seminar courses and recruitment initiatives.
- Additional duties as assigned by Academic Affairs.
- Bachelor's Degree, in a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor.
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience in a college setting, especially in the areas of academic coaching, transfer and/or delivery of academic support services.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Concern for student needs in a demanding academic context as well as flexibility, patience, and professional integrity.
- The ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Master's Degree, preferably in higher education or a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor.
- A minimum of 3 years of related experience in a college setting especially in the areas of academic coaching, and/or delivery of academic support services.
- Experience working with students in a community college environment.
Applicants for this position should submit a current resume and a cover letter
To apply, go to www.sunydutchess.edu/employment
DCC is committed to the principle of diversity and encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).