Senior Research Accountant
Drexel University was founded in Philadelphia in 1891 to provide educational opportunities for women and men of all backgrounds. Now, as a comprehensive research university with over 26,000 students across its 15 colleges and schools, Drexel’s strength in co-operative education, experiential learning, and translational research provides its students and faculty with excellent opportunities for career success. Known for innovation and dramatic growth, Drexel has earned top rankings from U.S. News & World Report, appearing among its Top 100 National Universities for the past seven years and on its Best Colleges list for the past 11 years.
Position Title: Senior Research Accountant
Responsible for managing Banner Grant Billing module and other invoicing methods to ensure that invoices are sent to sponsoring agencies in a timely manner. Responsible for A/R collection management. Responsible for ensuring financial reports are prepared timely. Manages system data to ensure integrity and that any special financial conditions of the award are properly cataloged and executed. Assist with data extraction for financial audits and report requests.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field, or equivalent education and experience is required.
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience, including but not limited to research administration, database development and administration, accounting and financial reporting experience.
- Experience at a non-profit or academic research institution is highly desirable.
Requires the ability to comprehend federal, state and local grant contract regulations and restrictions; familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles; advanced computer skills and knowledge of personal computer applications, including word processing, database and spreadsheet programs; demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and process large amounts of information; ability to prioritize work; ability to communicate effectively with diverse clientele both verbally and in writing; ability to work as a member of a large, complex support team; familiarity with automated accounting information systems.
- Perform sponsored project accounts receivable and accounting responsibilities, as described in this document, in support of Drexel University and the Academy of Natural Sciences;
- Perform grant accounting in compliance with CASB, GAAP, Uniform Guidance, various governmental agency, other sponsor regulations and institutional policies;
- Provide audit agencies, sponsors, principal investigators, project directors and staff, department administrators and other customers with accurate, complete and timely financial information and reports;
- Provide information on sponsor restrictions, compliance and cost allowance, budgets, salaries, general expenditures, and related matters to audit agencies, sponsors, principal investigators, project directors and staff, department administrators and other customers;
- Develop and maintain electronic databases and systems including Banner and Hyperion;
- Perform a liaison function with University accounting information systems;
- Extract meaningful information from the accounting system for analysis and reporting; analyze and conduct systematic reviews of data; assist in the presentation of financial and statistical information; prepare reports for management; maintain historical data;
- Develop electronic systems and reports that support sponsored project administration.
- Analyze the financial results of sponsored programs, identifying variances and funding issues, proposing solutions/resolving problems, and informing Management and Department Directors/Program Administrators. This includes forecasting revenue and preparing statistical information and charts as requested.
- Provide expertise related to regulatory and policy issues, fiscal management, and budget development. Maintain up-to-date knowledge and expertise in federal, state, local and other agency regulations and policies to assure compliance. Remain knowledgeable of current changes in federal regulations, Uniform Guidance, FAR's, and Cost Accounting Standards governing grants.
- Prepare and distribute financial reports to University customers and external agencies. Analyze requests for information and develop, evaluate and modify programs and procedures to improve financial reporting.
- Prepare financial status reports, generate sponsor billings and reconcile cash deposits. Monitor accounts receivable; maintain schedules of anticipated cash receipts; monitor and reconcile cash received; perform collection activities for overdue amounts when needed; resolve problems.
- Maintain archival records of all billing and financial reporting files in accordance with institutional record retention and government policies; provide documentation for audit purposes.
- Assist with OMB Uniform Guidance federal compliance audit and other sponsor audits.
- Be familiar with the responsibilities of all functional areas of Research Accounting Service and cross-train to provide team support and uninterrupted coverage when a team member is out of the office.
- Assist with special projects and perform other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Other duties as assigned.
Supplementary Posting Information:
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigations.
To apply for this position, please apply online at:
or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Senior Research Accountant. The requisition number is 8267.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.