Cooperative Education/Student Employment Specialist - 2 positions
Cooperative Education/Student Employment Specialist - 2 positions
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09068
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Level 3; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $42,429/yr to $73,568/yr. Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied fo
Job Close Date: June 30, 2017
The Cooperative Education/Student Employment Specialist provides educational, professional, and career development to students to inspire and empower them to achieve their life goals.
This position is responsible for working with students to provide Campus and College-Wide Career Services. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting the specific Rock Creek Career Technical Cooperative Education placements, career guidance, programming and events, student leadership, and partnerships with all faculty and staff, high schools, universities, and community organizations, agencies, resources, and industries. Services may also include evaluating student cooperative education needs, conducting classroom workshops, developing learning plans and outcomes, advising students on job searches, awareness of current economic and employment conditions. In addition, the Cooperative Education/Student Employment Specialist markets all Career Services to students, faculty, staff and Portland Metro employers and develops worksite opportunities for students.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Instructs classes and workshops for students on subjects such as job readiness, career development, resume writing, job search skills, portfolio development, interviewing and networking. Develops curriculum and lesson plans and revises as current market trends dictate. Reviews and update Course Content Guides and provides services to instructional areas relating to job search and career exploration or work-based learning.
2. Develops learning objectives, incorporating input from student, faculty and employer and ensures objectives are tied to education/major; and/or interviews students and assess skills and qualifications, matching job-seeking students with employers using a variety of professional job placement skills.
3. Markets Cooperative Education Program and/or student employment services both internally and externally. Develops a working knowledge of specific industries, including duties, requirements, wages and benefits, career paths, and work environments. Develops and fosters professional working relationships with employers, temporary services, employment agencies and industry representatives to ensure consistent contact for job leads within the community. May initiate cold calls and make presentations to employers within the community in order to place students at training sites and/or promote employment services.
4. Advises and guides students in developing career and/or employment goals. Provides individual support and encouragement to students. Advocates for students as liaison with other College services as needed.
5. Conducts employer worksite visits to assess skill requirements, employer expectations and/or evaluates student learning for college credit.
6. May organize career fairs and other on campus events and participate in off campus career fairs.
7. Participates in identifying, researching, and implementing new and innovative programs. Works with various professional/technical and transfer programs in developing new curriculum. Trains faculty coordinators on new programs and approved curriculum.
8. Maintains a thorough and current understanding of program curriculum. Addresses with faculty and administration issues such as labor market trends, industry skill requirements, student recruitment and retention, and program marketing.
9. Develops and fosters professional work relationships with college faculty and administration to ensure department services meet student and college needs. May participate with faculty in program Advisory Committees and SAC's.
10. May track statistics, which may relate directly to academic and professional-technical programs needs and grant requirements, including student placement and wages.
11. Represents the college, campus, or department on local, regional and state education and employment related committees.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Communications or related field (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
- Demonstrated experience in an educational setting working with or instructing/advising students, or experience in a business setting performing employment, selection, placement or related function.
Important Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of: educational institutions, curriculum development and non-traditional instruction methods; Equal Employment Opportunity laws and other local, state, and federal laws pertaining to employment; current labor market trends; effective training techniques and adult learning theory; marketing techniques.
Skill in: instruction and curriculum development; operating a computer and various supporting software packages and a variety of office equipment; effective group facilitation.
Ability to: work with a diverse student population; prioritize and manage multiple projects or to quickly change priorities; make public presentations in a small or large group setting; effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Demonstrates cultural competency in multiple settings; demonstrates commitment to diversity of staff and students, thought, and work/learning styles.
- Demonstrates knowledge of career development research, theories, and knowledge of career development and learning. Mindful of career development perspectives and needs for academic and occupational paths of students.
- Demonstrates experience working with employers to develop experiential work based learning.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current trends and environment for student services in higher education and community colleges specifically; leads with a vision for improving career exploration, jobs, internships, and Student Affairs.
- Demonstrates sensitivity, imagination, and effectiveness in responding to challenging student and college issues, and assists with problem solving.
- Demonstrates experience teaching, training, and/or facilitating learning for adults; experience developing curriculum, training guides, and/or presentation materials.
- Possesses skills in the development of program outcomes, assessment, data, and continual improvement practices.
- Demonstrates experience working in post-secondary environments, or an area with similar equivalence, coordinating student programs and support services for underrepresented students.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with staff and student leaders to design and implement programs, special events, and services that support career development services.
- Has experience working with technical knowledge of employment practices, recruitment, social media.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively and thoughtfully connect students to appropriate community resources.
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (3) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.