Assistant Director for Student Media
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls approximately 18,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
The Division of Student Development is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director for Student Media. This position serves as the professional advisor to student media programs and is an integral member of the professional team within the larger Department of Student Engagement. The Assistant Director for Student Media is responsible for providing direct leadership, administration and general oversight for management of the student organizational process and production of two student-run media publications including The Appalachian student newspaper and The Peel arts publication.
The Assistant Director for Student Media is responsible for coordinating efforts of the Division of Student Development to further the mission and strategic plan of the University which states in part that:
“The transformational Appalachian experience develops individuals who are eager to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, to embrace diversity and difference, and to become contributing members of society” and “promote a spirit of inclusion that inspires students, faculty, and staff to form relationships extending well beyond graduation. Our students think critically, communicate effectively, make local to global connections, and understand the responsibilities of community engagement. We embrace our obligation to help create healthy, just, and sustainable societies by equipping our students to live with knowledge, compassion, dedication, humility, and dignity”.
The Assistant Director for Student Media is a visible member of the university community who interacts across divisional lines and within the community. The office works collaboratively our academic colleagues, especially those within the College of Communication.
Minimum requirements for this position are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Significant journalism and editorial experience
- Demonstrated experience in student media, including but not limited to print, radio, and TV and/or a background in multiple aspects of media such as print media, radio, web, television, and digital media
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Student Media, Journalism, Leadership Development, Student Services or General Administration
Preferred qualifications include:
- Professional experience in Student Media advising, along with experience in organizational advising, leadership development, higher education administration or related fields
- Significant background desired in editorial advising.
- Master’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Higher Education/Student Personnel, English, Counseling or a related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population of students
- Demonstrated ability to work in team atmosphere
- Extensive familiarity with the field of journalism
- Supervisory experience with graduate student and student staff
- Familiarity with budget management
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external constituent groups
- Working and hands-on knowledge of production equipment used for media
- Knowledge related to web publishing
Initial consideration of completed applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. A completed application must include a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references including their name, address, email address, and telephone number. Please submit your application materials electronically at https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/15612
Salary range for this position is $48,000-$52,000. The anticipated starting date for the position is August 1, 2017.
Appalachian State University is committed to providing equal opportunity in education and employment to all applicants, students, and employees. The university does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation. The university actively promotes diversity among students and employees. The university is committed to its affirmative action plans and seeks to deepen its applicant pools by attracting interest from a diverse group of qualified individuals.
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting, Jenny Koehn, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information on the Department of Student Engagement and Leadership can be found at engageandlead.appstate.edu.
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report. Documentation of identity and employability of the applicant will be required before the hiring process is finalized.